Thursday, March 19, 2009

Sweet little Puritan girl

I'm not sure why I made a Puritan girl outfit...but I'll try to explain.
(Doesn't Hazel look EXACTLY like Jethro when she does that cheese-for-the-camera-no-top-lip smile?!)

See, FIRST I found this tutorial of a Reversible Folkloric Felt Bonnet--I do not remember how, and I thought, oh that is really cute and it will take all of five minutes to make, and then I can take some pictures of Ethne looking like a little story-book girl in the woods. Then I continued thinking, wouldn't it be cute with a little apron to match--after all, ALL little girls in storybooks have aprons.

But then I got to thinking that I didn't really have a dress for Ethne to put the apron on over, so I figured--hey how hard can it be to whip up a really simple dress? And that my friends, is never a good thought. Actually, it really wasn't that hard. I already had a pattern (Simplicity 4647) and I just put it together minus EVERYTHING not absolutely necessary. No slip, no ribbon, no sash, nada. It would have actually come together really fast except for the untimely death of my sewing machine (sob sob). I was left with only the bottom hem and half of the zipper to finish.
I took it to Kami's house, finished the dress, and then borrowed a sewing machine from a friend on Tuesday night and finished making the reversible folkloric felt bonnet (which was actually probably harder than the dress because I had to monkey with the pattern a bit to make it fit, but it did turn out pretty cute) and the apron. Oh, and I think I already mentioned how the dress did not fit Ethne at all, but was a perfect-I-couldn't-have-done-it-any-better-if-I-had-tried fit for Hazel. I think I would have picked a different color if I had known the dress was going to be for Hazel and not Ethne. Hence--a cute little Puritan/storybook girl. And that is how sewing is folks. Addicting.

I may have more pictures of this outfit later. Then I can show you the other side of the apron (it's reversible too).

4 comments:

Kami said...

So sweet--as always. I'll keep Hazel for you anytime you want. Ethne, now that's another story. Hee. Hee. Although her and Elena did play well together for the most part. Anyway, you're dress is amazing. Maybe if I come visit will you teach me how to sew?

Kristi said...

so fun! my mom was cleaing out her house so I got my wedding dress back- I think I might try to make a play wedding/princess dress for Maggie out of it. - maybe someday! so fun.

Lynn said...

Oh wow. I am TOTALLY impressed....

with your sewing skills AND your thought process. : D

Christal said...

That is the cutest thing ever!! That dress is awesome you are so talented!

Related Posts with Thumbnails