Thursday, July 24, 2008

zucchini recipes

Here's the Zucchini Tomato Casserole recipe I mentioned a while back. I'll just copy it how it is, and you can feel free to make any changes you desire. I think it would be good with some yellow summer squash in it too.

6 medium zucchini, diced (about 6 cups)
4 Tbsp. butter or margarine, divided
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
1 cup soft bread crumbs
2 eggs, beaten
2 Tbsp dried minced onion
1 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes
1 tsp. dried basical
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

In a large skillet, saute zucchini in 2 Tbsp butter until crisp-tender (very important--I don't think it would be nearly as good if you make it too mushy); drain well. In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Stir in the zucchini and remaining butter. Transfer to an ungreased 2-qt baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.

Also, I made this really great zucchini bread yesterday from a recipe I got here. It is very very delicious. I used 1 cup of whole wheat flour in it. I really liked it and Brett liked it, but then I thought it needed something. So I made some thin cream cheese icing, and "buttered" my bread with it. TASTY! (So yeah, I make bread with zucchini and applesauce and whole wheat flour, and then I add icing.)

This evening we went to a potluck get-together for Pioneer Day and it was fun. They had homemade rootbeer and man, did it hit the spot. Mmmm, mmmm. It was a nice cool day and the kids had fun playing at the playground. At one point Ethne came up to me with no shorts on and no diaper, and only one sandal. Crazy kid. We had to go fetch her diaper out of the dirt and put it back on. She is so funny lately. She's always in silly moods and will laugh and laugh at the slightest provocation. It's so fun.

Jethro was the the oldest kid there, and I was thinking how old I'm getting. I remember when we moved here, when Jethro was a baby barely one year old, and I met a family who had 4 kids and the husband was graduating with his PhD the next semester and they were still living in these little apartments, and I just couldn't believe that they had been here that long. Long enough to have four kids! And now, in just a few weeks, we will be them. Four kids. How did this happen? I just know that the new young couples with one BYU baby moving in to start graduate school are looking at us thinking, '4 kids--wow! they're so old,' when really just a day ago we were there. Life is weird that way.

What else? Oh, we had another narrow escape yesterday from buying a vehicle. Brett sent me an e-mail from school with a link to a Travelall on Ebay, and he said, "This is a gem! Let's go get it!!!!" Brett's been itching to buy a Travelall lately (because you know, it's been approximately .3 years since his last vehicle purchase (which was his motorcycle)) and customize it to be just how he wants it. I e-mailed back and said sure, as long as we can buy a minivan for me. He scoffed at that of course, because the Travelall will BE like a minivan---only cooler! He would never stoop to buy such an unoriginal vehicle as a minivan. But what he doesn't want to realize is that it really wouldn't be my vehicle, it would be HIS work-on aka play-with vehicle (oh wait, aren't all of our vehicles?). Anyway, it all came to nothing because someone bought it. Thank you, ebay gods!!! :) I told him he's no longer allowed to look at Travelalls until he has a [real] job. Who thinks he will listen?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the recipes - can't wait to try them... So happy for your narrow escape. It was fun to talk to you at the park. Let me assure you that all anyone sees when they look at you is eternal youth!

Lynn said...

LOL! Your vehicles situations are just like ours. I can SO relate.
Yup. It is funny how life does a funny swap just over night. Someone and someone's family is always younger. I have been thinking the same thing here about your family. You and your family were US just yesterday. Where does the time go?
THANKS FOR THE RECIPE! I am off to try it for lunch. Can't wait.

Related Posts with Thumbnails