Tuesday, July 22, 2008

County Fair

I babysat a little girl this morning from 8-3 (who'll I'll be babysitting the rest of the week), so at 3:30 when Ethne woke up, and since I knew Brett would be working for our friend again, I took the kiddos to the county fair.
We had SUCH A GREAT TIME! Balloons, popcorn, chickens, sheep, pigs, llamas, cows, rabbits, geese, horses, 4-H drill team horse show, snow cones, and one fun ride.



I think the reason it was so awesome for me was that the kids were SOOOO great! Going to these sorts of things can often lead to the whinies and the "I want's", but I'm so happy to say we had none of that! We looked at so many animals, the kids got thirsty so I bought them snowcones (at the advertising tent, so they were only 50 cents instead of 2-3 dollars at the snack stands), we went and watched the drill team horse show while we ate them, and Hazel said, "I love this show!" and Jethro liked it a lot. Then I said that it was time to go, and we started walking out past all the rides, and they didn't even beg or ask or anything. So, since I had $3.00 cash left, I bought them one ticket each (Jethro and Hazel) and they got to go on a ride. They were happy with their evening, and so was I! (p.s. I wish I could say this is completely usual for my children, but...)
One interesting thing was that as we were walking out through the rides, Hazel stopped for a second to look at something, and I got a little ahead of her. I was only about 6 feet away, and I turned around and started yelling to her, but she couldn't hear me over all the noise, and I watched while she realized she didn't know where her mom was, and could totally see the panic spreading in about 2 seconds flat. She started screaming "Mom!" and was ready to cry and just took off running-- frantically. I caught her of course in less time than it takes to tell, but it was interesting to watch just how scared she got. I don't blame her--it would be very scary!

So that was my fun day. In very much less pleasant news, Brett's university is no longer going to be providing free internet beginning August 1, so I will no longer have any internet at home. You do realize how horrifying this is, right? I mean, theoretically I could go to the library to do any internetting, but ummm, it's just not going to happen. I always get on the computer after the kids are in bed for good reason. I checked into getting high-speed, and while it's not phenomenally expensive, it's also a lot more than we're paying now (which is nothing). But pretty much I might die without internet, so have no fear I'll be doing my best to convince Brett. I think that babysitting this week should cover the initial set-up costs and first month, so maybe we'll go from there. Anyway. Whine, whine, whine.

Have a good night!

2 comments:

Lynn said...

YAY! For fun memories at the Country Fair with the kids.
BOO! For no more free internet.

Hope you can work it out. Going to miss hearing about you and the kids on a regular basis.

Is there anyway to claim your internet on your taxes there, like we do? We claim it for our home business. It's a sweet deal.

Anonymous said...

You definitely need to work out getting internet - that would be horrible - it's the only time I hear from you!!! Cute pics and glad you had fun at the fair.

megan

Related Posts with Thumbnails