Friday, July 25, 2008

What's been on my brain

Ha ha....funny funny funny. :)
So, what has been on my brain? Well, although it would be tormenting to go over your due date, I think that having had babies early previously brings its own kind of frustrating mind games. For example, if you are due in say, 4 weeks, but previously you've had babies 3 and 2 weeks early, you can kindof consider yourself due in one or two weeks. But you don't really want to bank on that too much, because then maybe you'll jinx yourself and actually go to your due date. So, you can start preparing, but not seem too eager.... it's a very delicate game.

Anyway, I don't really think I have too much to do to prepare. I just have to move the card table in my room to the shed and find a place for the boxes underneath it so I can put the pack and play (aka baby's bed) there. Other than that, I pretty much just wait. Or should I be doing something? Anyone, anyone? Is there anything that I should be doing now that I'll think of after I've had the baby and wonder why in the world I didn't do it before I had the baby? I asked Kami that question today and she said, in her infinite postpartum wisdom, "Sleep. Just sleep."

It's actually pretty exciting to know that in a couple weeks we'll meet our new kid. But first you have to, you know, deliver it. And you have to stay at the hospital for a little while, which has it's goods and bads.

Goods:
1.They bring food to you in your bed. And I know that lots of people say hospital food is gross, but I've always found it very tolerable. Good in fact, when you factor in that you didn't have to prepare it and you don't have to do the dishes.
2. They let you lie in bed all day, and don't expect you to do anything (except feed your baby).
3. Your (other) kids get to come visit you in all their cuteness and excitement, but as soon as they start being loud and annoying, they get whisked away again.
4. You have a little button you can push to ask for things you want, and they'll bring it to you.

Bads:
1. They come poke and prod and squish your belly a lot, which is very awful.
2. People are always coming in and out, especially right when you get to sleep. First it's the nurse to do above item, then your doctor, then the pediatrician, then the nun to ask how you're doing, etc. (This time though, I'm going to be firm--no nun, no photographer asking me if I want him to take awful pictures that he'll charge an exorbitant amount of money for, no one who isn't absolutely necessary!)
3. Everything smells hospitalish--even yourself.
4. You're not feeling your greatest.

But the ultimate good is of course, your new baby and it makes it all worthwhile. :) Another thing that crosses my brain sometimes is the question of whether or not my baby will have red hair.

Today I went to a few garage sales and hit a great one for boys clothes. I totally got stocked up for Jethro for next year (or maybe this spring if he has a growth spurt?). 11 shirts, one pair of pants, and one pair of shoes ---all really nice stuff--for $13.75. Sweet.

So when we got home I was trying on some of them to see if they would fit, and afterwards, Jethro came into the front room without a shirt on, and was dancing around like an African bushman, and it was really funny. I wish I could post the video I took, but alas, I cannot. This picture is so funny to me though. I think it looks like he's trying to be a model. Oh, funny.

Today Jethro and Hazel were being ornery, so they had to go to bed at 6:30 (which is an hour and a half before their bed time). Jethro was pretty darn sad, but I told him that's the breaks when you make bad choices. And when Brett got home I took Ethne for a long walk. Now I think I shall soak in the tub for a while.

9 comments:

Tiffany Alldredge Smith said...

Jethro looks AWESOME in this pic! He TOTALLY looks like a JCrew model! You're going to have to watch out for that one - he's gonna have girls all over him!

On another note - How in the heck do you get them to got to bed early? And not just play in their rooms? Do tell!! And Hazel is still taking a nap? How did you manage that? I can't get Bella to take one and she's not even 3 yet! Help! You're obviously some sort of child-whisperer!

Ginger said...

I haven't looked at your blog in a week and now I've got so much to read! Thanks! All of your recent pictures are soooo super fabulous!
And I have to agree with you about hospital food, only I will go as far as saying that it's great food, not just good. I love it! I'm a sandwich kind of girl and I remember having the same turkey sandwich 4 times during my last stay. Good times!

Unknown said...

lol! Nice pic! I totally love hospital food. I suppose having an enormous appetite and being completely exhausted increases its enjoyment. I absolutely hate all those interruptions though. Your list sums it up just perfectly.

Tracy said...

I like the hospital food too. But I didn't know that having the nun come was an option. She came in to visit me just when I was falling asleep too! I wanted to scream at her, (cause she was like the 5th person to interrupt my sleep), but alas, she is a nun and you shouldn't yell at nuns. Good luck with it all.

Misty said...

I say you're pretty lucky to go early and miss those extra 3-5 pounds you pack on at the end. I always go a little past my date and probably will this time too. We had an Enrichment activity tonight on freezer cooking and I'd say maybe if you have time on your hands you could cook a WHOLE bunch of freezer meals (which are amazingly simple) and then after the beautiful little person enters the world it's one less stress you have. Just a thought.
Anywho...hospital food has been okay...I just get sick of them bringing me tea or coffee after I've asked them not to like a dozen times. Good luck with everything. Is your hospital bag packed? Are you registered? Where's the car seat? These are just things I've been asking myself. Take care and keep those wonderful posts coming.
Thanks for the laughs Jethro!
Misty

Lynn said...

A nun comes to visit in the hospital??? What for? What kind of hospital is this?

I too love hospital food. The stay after having a baby was so nice and peaceful and quiet. I loved that time to myself and baby. I agree with Kami though, Catch up on your sleep! You'll be happy you did.

Love the pic of Jethro. He is SO photogenic.

Rachael said...

so i go out of town and you go nuts with posting! so many cool things. I loved the science party--I made Neil come read it too.

okay, and i am totally with you on the hospital thing. in fact, on a recent very bad-child-behavior day, I said, "I wish I could go have a baby so I could be in the hospital by myself, and people would bring me food in the middle of the night whenever I wanted it."

ooh, hospitals. there's just that whole newborn baby who doesn't sleep thing.

Sarah Harward said...

Super cute blog!! I'm finally getting around to answering your question you posted on my blog. I just used one of bloggers generic templates (it's a stretch or wide version) then I just change the colors every now and then to make it look more personal. I like it in the wide version because I feel like pictures fit on the page nicer. Good luck!!

Gigi said...

I don't think I've ever seen Jethro look so much like Brett than in this picture! I guess I haven't been paying close enough attention. That, or his hair color automatically makes me think of you. Either way; what a handsome boy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails