Thursday, January 22, 2009

The decision

So, I know you're all dying to know what I chose. Well I'll tell you. The wants won out over the shoulds today. I did not do the dishes or clean the house, but I did go to the grocery store, only because I had no sweetened condensed milk with which to make the Magic Cookie Bars. (And I bought icecream, because my brother Derek is so wise.) I did make a tutu while I watched a movie, took pictures (that wasn't on my list, but if I made a tutu, wasn't it a given?), and am now blogging.

My cousin-in-law Kristi tagged me to write 6 "(un)interesting" things about me. That's good because I probably couldn't think of 6 new truly interesting things. How about we do 6 types of people I could occasionally be jealous of. Okay.
1. People who have fast internet.
2. People who can afford to have a nanny, thereby being able to pick up and leave the house without dragging their children along if they so desire.
3. My brother-in-law Blake is going to Cancun next month. Although he's a person and not a type of person, I think it still counts.
4. People who are organized.
5. That's all the people I can think of. Something else then. Okay, I'm never perfectly content with my hair how it is. I always want it however it is not. Any cute head of hair that passes by makes me want to cut/grow/curl/straighten my own hair. If I see a cute short haircut then I want the cute style and quick fixing of it. When my hair is short, I want long hair to put in a ponytail or do long. So generally I'm in the middle, I cut and then let it grow a little and cut again.
6. My little bro, Ethan, is going to play football for Weber. Read the exciting story here. Woohoo!
Anyhoo, what else has been going on?
It has been really cold. Jethro's school was cancelled Thursday and Friday.
Brett has been working at school from 5:00 am to 7:00 most days. He is stressed.

On Monday he did take a break however, to go shoot his Christmas gun for a little while at our friend's house. He said he liked it.
Brett and I got really really really really mad at each other and then got over it.

We started a new incentives program in our house. The kids earn popsicle sticks for good behavior and what not and then they can trade them in for treats and books and little toys.

I went to my friend's house and showed her how I make bread and then she was going to help me learn how to use a pattern (much harder than I would've thought when I've made several things from tutorials) but we ran out of time.

I love Goodwill. I've recently bought a hoodie, exercise pants (which I really wanted because I felt just a bit nerdy always going to aerobics in pajama pants. But not nerdy enough that I would actually pay real money for some), a really cute bluejean jacket, a ceramic pitcher thingee that I'm using to hold a flower arrangement (pictures to come), toys for the kids' incentives, what else? The point is, sooner or later, Goodwill will provide for all of your wants and needs. j/k, but I do love that store.

I had Joy School today at my house and the kids made nests out of brown paper bags and got to put an easter egg in it with a little birdie inside.

I crocheted a scarf for Brett and Jethro (pictures to come).

One of the things the kids can do to earn popsicle sticks is memorize a poem. Jethro has memorized this:

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate;
I am the captain of my soul.

(It's one that Pres. Hinckley mentioned he memorized when he was a boy.) So if anyone has any poems that they really love, pass them on.

I think that's all I can think of.


4 comments:

Ginger said...

Cool poem. My grandma mentioned that she had to memorize poems as a kid when she wasn't behaving. She still has them memorized to this day....like 80 years later. Crazy. Love the pictures, glad that you and Brett got over it, glad that you blogged today (because I didn't feel like typing my own out), glad for all the cool things that you do. Wowee!

Kirsta and Morian said...

I am the exact same way with my hair. I want it short, I want it long. So I grow, chop, grow, chop. I would love to see how I look with actual long hair, but I can't ever get past the awkward stage. I'm too impatient!

Lynn said...

I am SO with you on No.'s 2 and 5. And on Good will Stores!! : D

Great idea on the incentive program for the kids.

Glad to see you and Brett made up. LOL! Dean and I had one of those weeks too.

Tiffany Alldredge Smith said...

I've always wanted to learn the poem about Paul Revere's ride. It's REALLY long though. I just remember all of the Kennedy clan learned it and made their children memorize it too. I think it's called The Ride of Paul Revere

Related Posts with Thumbnails