Sunday, November 16, 2008

Talmage's surgery

So last Thursday was the big day. It was kindof a big undertaking to get everything prepared, because they couldn't tell us what time the surgery would be until the day before. So we had to get babysitters for the kids without knowing the time. But let me just stress that so many people were helpful and kind, so it worked out. The hospital where we went was an hour away, so we ended up having to leave at 6:30/7:00 a.m. One of my kind visiting teachers came that early to stay with Jethro until he had to go to school, then another friend picked Jethro up and drove him to his friend's house to be watched (the mother couldn't pick Jethro up at that time because she had to pick up her own kids). A friend watched Hazel, and another friend watched Ethne all day.

So we got to the hospital and talked to a nurse, the surgeon, the intern, and the anastethiologist. It's funny how many times they ask the same questions (which I was asked in the pre-registration over the phone the day before too). Maybe they think they'll trick us and one time we'll forget and say "yes, he has had a blood transfusion before." :)

Anyway, they were all very nice and explained things. Brett asked if he could watch the surgery but they declined, based on hospital policy.

So then, the nurse took him and walked away. Talmage was very brave.

Brett and I waited in the waiting room for the next two hours and more, which was a far busier place than I'd have imagined. We both just read books, and I had this weird feeling that we shouldn't be just amusing ourselves when Talmage was in there having surgery. A nurse came in twice to give us updates and tell us that everything was going fine. Then, the surgeon came up and told us they had finished, and everything had gone great. The hernias (both sides) were very big and they had to repair some of the floor besides just tying them off.

Since it would be a little while, we had lunch in the cafeteria and then they let us go see him. (Tips for if you ever do something like this--bring more snacks and remember to drink water.)

That first look was pretty heart-wrenching. He looked so pale and fragile and small in his big bed with all the monitors hooked up to him. And they told us that after the surgeon had talked to us he had had a little difficulty breathing when he was coming out of the anasthesia, and they had had to leave the breathing tube in for a little bit longer, so they decided to keep him overnight to watch him just to be safe.
It was a very rough night for Talmage and I. He was very sore and very fussy. I REALLY couldn't wait for the night to be over. But we made it through and were discharged the next morning. Talmage did a lot better when he got home, although on the subsequent days he has been fussier much more than normal (normally he's not fussy at all). I can't really blame him, and on the whole he's been such a tough guy.

I have to again say how grateful I am for all the people who helped us out during this--two women just offered to bring us meals and it was so great! I am so appreciative of people stepping in and helping out. It makes me want to be better at that.

Here are some pictures of Brett and Jethro working hard yesterday. I look at Jethro and I think 'when did he get so big?' as usual. Brett paid him a quarter for all his help. I told my sister Amy that and she said, "And I thought we were hard done by when we were kids," or something to that effect, but hey--Jethro was impressed. :)
(If you want to see the pictures bigger, you can click on them.)

This is Brett making a face at Hazel through the window. I think it's funny.
And some pictures from today just for fun.


10 comments:

Joanne said...

poor little guy. it is so hard having your baby go thru surgery but I'm glad all is good now! don't you just love good friends who step in and do things because they love you!!!

Brooke said...

we don't pay our kids "money" when they help we just pay them in ice cream!! Actually when they help they get stickers and after a certain amout they get a book!! They love it and so do I! And that picture of Talmage made me sad, I don't like it when little guys have to have surgery, sorry you had to go through that!

Lynn said...

Oh poor Talmage. I bet it won't be fun when he starts to heal and get itchy either. Sounds like you have AWESOME friends and V.T. Cool!!!

Glad that horrible night is over and you both are home and on your way to the more normal things of life. What a great little trooper you got there. : D

Tiffany Alldredge Smith said...

Oh, I'm so sorry for poor Talmage - and for you! That must have been really hard for you (and Talmage, of course). Let me know if you need anything!

PerkinsClan said...

Poor little guy. I can sympathize (Erica's had 4 surgeries). I hope he feels better soon.

beSlightlyAskew said...

Poor guy--poor mommy and daddy though! Cool scar--I have a matching one in that same spot (two times over.)

Andrea said...

Kayli--
I didn't know little Talmage was going to have to have surgery. I'm so sorry...what a stressful thing. The picture just made me sad for the little guy. I'm so glad everything went okay. You are tough!!!

Charlotte said...

What a trooper! I'm glad everything went well. I love all the pictures. :)

Kris said...

I'm glad things went well. I hate having my little ones have to go into surgery - all three of mine had to at one time or another - Tyler twice! Not fun! I had a hernia when I was little and still have a scar from it. Thank goodness for great friends!

Kelli said...

Kayli,

I didn't know Talmage had to have surgery either...(I need to be better about blogging and keeping in touch with everyone) I'm glad things went well. Hernia's are no fun! I still remember what a nightmare it was when we learned Anna had one, and she had surgery. Talmage is such a cute little guy--those other pictures of him with the hats and such are so adorable! It is fun to see the happenings of your cute family. Your kids are growing up! Never a dull moment, huh? I still have a baby blanket in pieces that I need to finish--You've given me some motivation:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails