Tuesday, November 11, 2008

ponderings

Okay, so has anyone ever actually eaten a parsnip? Because really, I didn't even know what one looked like until today when I searched for one at the grocery store. A recipe I was trying calls for parsnips, but I just couldn't bring myself to take a chance on an unknown vegetable when a little bag cost $2.99, and a similar sized bag of carrots cost only 89 cents. And wouldn't you think that the reason nobody knows what parsnips are is because they just aren't very good--carrots are much the better choice? Kindof like, nobody really eats turnips because it's just accepted that potatoes are much better? Anyway, I was not brave enough today to try it and find out.

And now, I have just gone into the kitchen to check on kids and found that my pot roast was burning. The recipe only called for 3/4 cup of water and it had all boiled out and now the bottom of my pan and roast, is burned. Hmm. Definitely salvageable, but it makes me wonder how the recipe thought I could also cook all the potatoes and parsnips in just 3/4 cup of water.

Before I go, one more thing to wonder about. If your child ruins two backpacks in less than that many years, does that mean it would be more cost-effective to buy a nicer backpack? But really, even the cheap ones are about $15--so you'd think the zipper wouldn't break in 3 months. Ruff.

Must go change a diaper. And fix dinner. Adios.

8 comments:

Tiffany Alldredge Smith said...

We ate parsnips growing up all the time. They are actually really quite good. We ate them baked or steamed. They have about the consistancy of carrots - but are much, much sweeter - kinda like carrots drizzled with maple syrup or honey. It's really hard to describe - but I would recommend at least trying them - you may end up really liking them.

Andrea said...

Kayli, buy the more expensive backpack and some kid at school will cut it with scissors, or it will get stolen, or Jethro will set it down on the way home and lose it forever. That's the way of things.

Lynn said...

Parsnips win HANDS Down for us. Julianne them....and then stir fry. They are YUMMY!!!!!

I hear you about the more expensive back pack. We would keep buying the cheap ones each year for the kids all the way up till Junior High. Then all of a sudden we seem to think they are responsible and then get them the more expensive ones. They last all through High School, all through College and even through a honeymoon..... Go figure. : S

The more expensive ones DO last much longer. But the little ones might loose them.

Rachael said...

or you buy them a really expensive backpack, and they just use it for a 72-hour kit. That's what happened to the North Face backpack my dad bought me for college (in my defense, it had a single top opening and was impossible to retrieve anything from the bottom. trust me, i carried it around for a month!)

Brooke said...

We got the "expensive" backpacks at JCPenney's after school started a few years ago for only $9 but we still haven't given them to our kids becuase their "cheap" ($15 at the beginning of school) ones haven't died yet. But both of them are getting very close after 2 years of use. SO I guess we have been lucky with backpacks.

The Haws Family said...

I have a sweet Nike RED backpack that I bought online. They didn't have a true red one in the stores. Go figure. They must've known so many people would flock to buy them, they didn't even want to deal with it. :)

Mary said...

Dave lost two lunch boxes in one week. He's getting paper sacks now. Am I a mean mom?

Deanna said...

I just bought back up packs at Toys r us for $4 that will be for christams ...they are even hello kitty and spiderman... Cause the clearanced ones from target have almost hit their year limit.

Related Posts with Thumbnails