Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Pleasant Day (highly detailed)

Today was a really good day. Which is nice after yesterday which wasn't as great---lots of getting after my kids, too hot, missing Brett (he's been working after school painting a guy's house), I didn't want to do anything, being crabby, etc.

We went to swimming lessons this morning. It was our second day, and I'm pretty sure Jethro got bumped into the intermediate level 1-2 class, because yesterday he was in the small kid pool and today he was in the big pool. But I'm not sure. But either way, he was VERY excited to be in the big pool, and get to show off his "swimming." Hazel had fun playing 'red light, green light' and other fun games in the kiddie pool (she's in water exploration).

Then, I had packed a little lunch because Hazel had a dentist appointment at 1:00, but I didn't want to drive all the way back to our side of town, and come right back for the appointment. So we took our lunch to a beautiful park and ate it, and had a little hike on a trail in the woods. The kids were sooooo cute today, I just felt so happy when I looked at them. Jethro and Hazel would walk around, and Ethne--in her little sun hat-- would follow behind them. Then they would stoop down to look at a butterfly in the grass, and Ethne would squat too. Just so cute. I'm pretty bummed that I didn't have my camera. Oh well. Oh, and the weather was BEAUTIFUL!! Seriously, yesterday was incredibly hot and humid and just weather to die in, and today was LOVELY, nice, non-humid, coolish weather. Yum.

Then I decided to splurge and get a rootbeer float. (Oh, but I did get annoyed when I told the kids that we would get a float and Jethro asked what else we could order. I really hate when the kids don't seem grateful for treats.) Anyway, I actually ordered a rootbeer freeze, and it was very tasty and perfect.

Then Hazel had her dentist appointment and did fine. We came home and Ethne had a nap, and the kids colored and did a few worksheets. (In case anyone is interested, I quite like this site for finding quite a few good worksheets all in one spot. And this one for the younger age. I don't really do a whole lot but I've been trying to think about some things to incorporate--such as having Hazel count things every so often, like how many cups are on the table, or how many peaches we bought. I also have done a few things with rhyming with her, and pointing out a couple letters that she knows.) While they did that I FINALLY cleaned my bathroom. It was about time--it was really gross. So now it's nice to have a shiny sink and toilet.

Later on, the kids watched a show while I made dinner. We ate dinner and then went into the backyard and I pitched some balls that Jethro tried to hit with the new bat I got at a garage sale a while ago. He did all right, and it was fun. Once, the ball hit him in the face and he started crying and Ethne came over and looked at him, and I told her to give him a hug. So she hugged him, and then she'd look at him, and hug him again, and look at him, and hug him for a long time. It was so cute.

Then we came in, read stories, and got ready for bed. After Jethro and Hazel were in bed, I read a bit more to them out of 'On the Banks of Plum Creek,' and it was funny when Laura was going to go to a place in the creek with deep water where her dad had told her not to go by herself, Jethro covered his ears and didn't want to listen. I had to reassure him that she didn't go (a badger in the trail stopped her). Love these books and all the great lessons they teach! Then we sang a few songs and I swept my floor and finished folding some laundry. What a good day.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hey Kayli,
Just catching up on your busy life. Sounds like y'all are having a fun summer. We sure will miss teaching Jethro. He's so smart, creative and funny.

Annie said...

I would love your worksheet website. Ilove reading about your kids and seeing the great pictures.

Lynn said...

I'm glad your day was better than before. Sounds like you accomplished a ton of stuff!
My kids love the little house on the prairie books too.

Anonymous said...

Kayli -
SOunds like a great day. Are you coming to visit this summer??? We miss you!!! Have a good day.

megan

Related Posts with Thumbnails