Saturday, June 7, 2008

13 Things for Today (even though it's Sat and not Thurs)

1. I was sitting here at the computer when Hazel yelled, "Mom! Ethne pooed in the tub!" So I had to go find the poop pail (actually that's not it's name, it's just a regular old bucket that the kids often play with in the tub, but it's useful as a pooper scooper too) and clean everything out and rerun water for them. Now I feel vindicated that I didn't get around to cleaning my bathroom today.


2. Brett took Jethro with him when he went to help a guy work on his jeep. They were thinking about making a marshmallow gun today, so maybe they went to Brett's school lab and started on that. They've been gone a long time--who knows.

3. The other day I started making birthday party invitations for Hazel's birthday. It was kindof fun. I don't think I'll do parties every year, but this will be our last year here (I REALLY hope!) where Jethro and Hazel have several friends, and who knows if they'll ever have any again? (I didn't really mean that all, but I just wrote it anyway, cause it was kindof funny to me.)

4. Yesterday Jethro asked Hazel how excited she was for her party, and she said, "Really excited." And he said, "No, what PERCENT excited are you? You have to say a number. Are you 1% excited? 2%? 100%?" So she said, "100%". Funny Jethro.

5. I can't tell you yet what the party themes are, but I am excited for them. You have to wait until I blog about them after they happen. I hope the suspense is killing you.

6. One day I asked Hazel if she liked her name, and she said, "Yes," and I said "why?" and she said, "Cause it's pretty. ...and Ariel." okay.

7. Ethne can say 'daddy' and 'mama,' but when she says 'daddy' it is always in a sweet, happy, excited, cute little voice. (And it's often when she hears a motorcycle go by our house.) The only time she says 'mama' is when she is absolutely furious at something, and trying her best to show her defiance--like when she has to have a nap and doesn't want it. Then she stands in her crib SHRIEKING 'MAMA! MAMA! MAMA!' That is the only time. I pointed this out to Brett, and I said, "Why is that?" and he said, "I don't know, but I like it."

8. Yesterday Brett came home a little bit early and we were so excited because he said, "What should we do?" But it was really hot and the best that we could come up with was to go to the movie store and rent a movie.

9. It suddenly became very hot and very humid. Me no likey.

10. I finally turned on the air conditioner after bearing the heat for about 4 1/2 days. It didn't do anything but blow air. Not cold air, just air. Brett came home and fiddled around with it for about 1.2 minutes, and it started blowing deliciously cold air. I love Brett and I LOVE air conditioning! I'm so grateful I live in a modern age with so many beautiful and wonderful conveniences. (Sorry Kami. Come visit me in my air-conditioned home.)

11. Jethro found some money in the metro in D.C., and he picked up some more change in the car, and it was the first time he held on to it for longer than a day. He counted it over and over and thought about all the things he could buy with it. Brett and I were giving suggestions (I suggested chocolate covered raisins for myself), and Brett said that he could buy bullets for his gun, and he would take Jethro out and let him shoot it. Well, that was it...he couldn't get it out of his mind for two seconds. He asked me about a hundred times if I would take him to Sportsman's Warehouse to get bullets, and I got annoyed after the 50th time telling him that I was not going to buy bullets because I have no idea what kind to get. When Brett came home the next day, before he had both feet in the door Jethro said, "Can we go to Sportsman's Warehouse?"

12. We ended up buying the bullets at Wal-Mart. Much cheaper.

13. Jethro can read so well these days. It's really awesome. This morning he read 'Great Day for Up' and 'If You Give a Mouse a Cookie' to me, and he only couldn't get just a couple words, such as 'few.' It's so exciting when I hear him read.

7 comments:

Rachael said...

These totally made me laugh! Especially Hazel liking her name...and Ariel...because that's so little girl-ish! Just random things that somehow involve princesses. And I love Ethne's words/emotions. Isn't that so typical? I try all day to make Juliet laugh and she just stares back stony-faced, and then Neil comes home and she bursts into giggles and crawls for him as fast as she can. Go figure.

Lynn said...

I LOVE this post. Love the randomness. I think it funny how the word "mom" in your house is said the same way in this house. AND "daddy' is also said the same way....also said by the female baby of the house. Funny how that is, eh?

Andrea said...

I bet that is so exciting to hear Jethro read! I like hearing all the tidbits of things going on in your life. Loved the story about Ethne only saying 'mama' when she's upset.:) Dads get to be the fun parent for some reason.

florascrap said...

My youngest (9 months) had only said "mama" when she was mad or upset, too, until just recently. What I would like to know is why do they always say "dada" first? :)

I love your blog. I got the link from your sister Andrea, who was my good friend in fifth grade when you guys lived in my town. When she sent me the link back in December or January I read the whole thing and I keep up with it weekly at least. You are very entertaining...love your writing style and your kids are adorable (so is your husband, but that might not be proper to say, though I am happily married myself and I have no designs on him anyway!)

Anyway, just thought you would like to know who reads your blog since I have never commented before. :)

Ginger said...

It makes me happy to read about Jethro because he is so much like Sam in lots of ways. Glad to hear about the reading. Sam isn't as far as Jethro, of course, but Sam is beginning to get excited about it.

Kris said...

I *think* I know what the theme is for Hazel's! ;) But I won't tell! I hear ya when it comes to daddy being the "fun" one! Why does it have to be that way I wonder? Tyler got a super nerf gun thingy for Christmas and wants to buy more darts for it, but we haven't yet. He LOVES that thing! What is it with little boys and guns (and EVERYTHING imaginable being turned into a gun!?) Some things to think about. :) Hope you are staying cool! We finally put in our A/Cs before Kent left for Minnesota - thank goodness!

Tiffany Alldredge Smith said...

I can't believe Jethro is reading!! That's awesome! I have got to start working more with Bella! Bella used to only be excied to see Josh too - but then Josh started working with her to be excited to see me too - now she says both of our names in a happy way (I love that man!) Your kiddos are cute, cute, cute!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails