Monday, June 23, 2008

hello

So, last week my little (17-year-old) football-playing brother Ethan got injured. He was going for a pass, stretched out, and a guy running as hard as he could hit him with his helmet. He went down, but got back up and walked to the side where he proceeded to throw up. They took him to the ER and he had a broken bone in his back, a lacerated kidney, and a bruised spleen. A cool thing was that my dad, Ethan's coach, and the team doctor all gave him a blessing. The thing they were most worried about was his spleen, because it's bad news if your spleen has to come out.

Anyway, I told Jethro to draw him a picture to mail to him, and these are what he drew. I love all the guys that have fallen down trying to get Ethan, and how he wrote, "Jack, I win!" He knew my dad's name was Jack, but didn't realize that Ethan would call him Dad. Plus I just think it's funny that he would write that.

Oh, and just because I know you were all wondering, he didn't drop the pass.
And a pretty sweet truck.
On Saturday Jethro came up whining about having nothing to do, so I just said "Go make a book," just to get him to stop whining. Well, one book turned into a whole bunch--by both him and Hazel, and he even made a library, and on the back of each book he makes a bar code. He also taped a sign on our front door that said "Libray." I really like how this little smiley face that he drew on the back says "Read every day!" Ha ha.


My favorite story is a short one he wrote with no pictures but Brett and I both cracked up when we read it.

"the suNy DAY"
EVrY DAY WAS SuNY AT this PLAC
BUT ONe DAY WAS lik A OVeN.
iT WAS SO HOT eVryBODY Brnd.

Jethro explained that he accidentally wrote 'burned' when he meant 'sunburned,' but Brett and I kinda like it that way. hee hee.
These are some pictures from this morning playing in the backyard.


On Saturday we all went to the library together, and then we went to an icecream parlor where Hazel had received a gift certificate to for her birthday. (Thanks Elise!) The icecream was SOOOOO delicious!! Seriously, it was heavenly stuff. Anyway, it was pretty cool because as we were driving there we saw some cool old cars driving past, and they were going to a place kitty corner from the icecream parlor, so we got our cones and walked over to the car show. Of course, Brett loved that. They had a pretty sweet Camaro (is that how you spell it?) and GTO. And an International truck that Brett said he wants to have one like.


I just washed my kitchen cupboards, and even though I don't have very many at all, my arm is aching. That's probably a bad sign. Oh well.

Brett has a toothache and is going to go see a dentist. I am quite concerned as we haven't really kept up on his dental work since um.....we got married. It could be bad news for our pocketbooks.

And that's all I've got.


6 comments:

Andrea said...

Timothy and I both really enjoyed Jethro's books. Awesome!

Lynn said...

SHEESH! "That's all I've got", she says. My goodness. That is a lot! A lot of aches and pains that is. I sure hope your little brother is doing okay. I will keep him in my prayers....and your arm and your hubby's tooth ache. Don't want your pocket book to ache. That' is NO fun.
Love the pics of the kids and I just think those drawings say the WHOLE story. What a talented kid. I can see that they have the love of books from you. Cool.

MarySquare said...

Hey, maybe Jethro will grow up to be a librarian! Like me, or like Noah Wylie...

Kris said...

Wow! Impressive work, Jethro! Tyler is SOO not into writing, reading and drawing, but I WISH he was!!!! I guess he takes after his dad in that aspect more - he'll probably be great at math! AND - Morgan has that same adorable little cherry shirt that Hazel is wearing! Don't you just LOVE Target!!!???

Marisa May said...

Hope your brother is okay!
Jethro is really creative! It's great that he included so many little details.

Christal said...

I hope your little brother is doing okay football yah!! My brother in law played in high school and had his share of injurys too sad but they love the game so much eh!!! Love the pictures of the kids. I so love the way children think and there little notes are so sweet!! Love the drawings !!

Related Posts with Thumbnails