Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Day 5 (and 6) -- Final Leg

On our last day, we took down camp and found our way (harder than it seems, even though you can see the spires from the freeway) to the temple. It was exceptionally beautiful--more beautiful than my pictures can show. Loved it so much, I asked Brett if we could get married there. He said no. But we walked all around it.





Then we went into the Visitor's Center for a little while. Wonderful.







When it was lunchtime, we found a little picnic spot and cooked some lunch and let the kids wade for a bit.


Here's Jethro with a caterpillar and another frog. Then we hit the road again, for good this time. I have to say that Maryland is very scenic and I LOVED that there were poppies on the sides of the road sometimes. Soooo pretty. (I did not take this picture, I searched for it on the web, because the picture I tried to take was blurry and this one is much better.)
We kept driving and driving. Then we continued driving. It started raining and pouring and lightninging so much that it was like a strobe light in the darkness. It rained so hard that we could hardly see and there were two semis overturned on the side of the road. But Brett persisted and we got to our lovely home at 3:00 in the morning. Later on I found out that there had been tornado warnings and watches, so that could have been what we were driving through. I don't know. Anyway, that's the end of the trip. It was a good time.

6 comments:

Rachael said...

What beautiful pictures of the temple! This is my very favorite temple, since it's the one I grew up going to. Absolutely beautiful. I love rereading my journal from when I was about 9 because it has these big straggly letters all over the page talking about how beautiful the temple is and how I'm going to get married there when I'm older.

This has been so fun reading/seeing about your trip!

Tiffany Alldredge Smith said...

I loved reading about your trip!! I think we'll have to make it to the zoo when we go this summer. You missed my favorite museum though - The American History Museum - if you ever get a chance to go back you should check it out!

Lynn said...

The temple is gorgeous! So are the poppies. Glad you searched the net. I wasn't quite getting that pretty picture of them in my mind. They are beautiful!
Scary traveling home, eh? Glad you are all back safe and sound.......with a TON of great memories.

Amy said...

Looks and sounds like an awesome trip!! Ever since Todd went to DC he's talked about how we need to go back and how it was so great and there was so much to see... your pictures may have convinced me :)

Amanda said...

Beautiful temple and flowers.

Shelley said...

I didn't know you were coming to my neck of the woods. You could have stayed at my house and I would have made you pancakes for breakfast! :) Be glad you are not here now... with 100 degree temps and TONS of humidity. Yikes. And the crazy storms we had on Wednesday. Fun pictures. Looks like you had fun!

Related Posts with Thumbnails