Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Autumn Poetry

Autumn is the eternal corrective. It is ripeness and color and a time of maturity; but it is also breadth, and depth, and distance. What man can stand with autumn on a hilltop and fail to see the span of his world and the meaning of the rolling hills that reach to the far horizon?
- Hal Borland

I am rich today with autumn's gold,
All that my covetous hands can hold;
Golden rays of balmy sunshine spread
Over all like butter on warm bread;
And the harvest moon will this night unfold
The streams running full of molten gold.
Oh, who could find a dearth of bliss
With autumn glory such as this!
- Gladys Harp

A few days ago I walked along the edge of the lake and was treated to the crunch and rustle of leaves with each step I made. The acoustics of this season are different and all sounds, no matter how hushed, are as crisp as autumn air.- Eric Sloane

We went out and enjoyed fall today. It was beautiful weather when we went, right after Jethro got out of school. We went to the lovely Clegg Botanical Gardens (any locals, you should totally go, it's SO pretty right now!) We had a lot of fun. We played Indians, and it was just a good time.













Here is Hazel walking across a log. She is a brave girl.
Tonight I went to the church to watch a little slideshow that the Scouts did about their trip to Boundary Waters in the summer. It was fun--I think it is cool to hear a roomful of men laugh. (Maybe I was thinking about it since it was held in the Relief Society Room--the contrast, you know.) One time when Brett was in a picture and the person speaking said something about him, and I whistled the good-looking whistle (what is that called? you know, whoot-whoo) and someone said, "Is he here?" and he had gone out right then, so I said no, and then he said, "We found out that Brett is really strong. There's a picture later that shows just how strong (talking about a picture where Brett lifted an overturned canoe out of the water over his head)." And someone said, "Physically or otherwise?" and he said, "All ways." It was funny.
Another boy was telling a story about the turtle they caught and were trying to kill (to eat) and he said, "First we tried such-and-such, but it didn't work, so then we tried this... and finally Brother Bell got fed up and grabbed its head with the pliers on his leatherman so we could cut it off." Ummm, how.....nice.
I know there was more I was going to say, but I forgot now, and it is late, and Brett says I have to come to bed, so I will.

3 comments:

MerryPair said...

Isn't it great to have "real men" for husbands? It's funny to me when other men are so surprised at how much Drew knows or how handy he is. Where have all the real men gone?? (At least we got ours!)

The Haws Family said...

I would just like to notify EVERYONE that Alan got his mission call to GUOYANA, BRAZIL!!!!!!!! YAY! YAY! And, even if you don't know him, which I don't think anyone does, not even really Kayli---but she's met him at least---you should be excited.

Kami said...

Yucky. I think doesn't really fall in that category of men despite his wanting to learn krav maga. But don't you dare tell him I said that.

Related Posts with Thumbnails