Friday, April 16, 2010

Rainy Day and Cows

The Swiss really like cows. It’s their inofficial national animal. This is cool because I love cows. I love milk and I love how cows look in a field or on a hillside. I always tell Brett that I want cows someday when we have land because there is nothing so picturesque as cows on a hillside. (I choose not to remember the time when the cows got out at my in-laws house and my brother- and sister-in-law and niece and their dog Lucky rounded them up and pushed them down the road to the pen, and I had to stand there in the dark and keep them from going off where they weren’t supposed to go, and it was really dark, and I knew that though cows don’t want to trample you if they can help it, they might not even see me and trample me on accident and it was a deeply frightening experience and also somewhat humiliating as my 8-year-old niece was totally herding those cows like nobody’s business, with nary a flicker of nervousness. Quite the opposite. But anyway, those were cattle and not milk cows.)

But as I was saying, cows are charming. And until we get some of own, these ones from the farm next door will do very well. They provide us with milk and are very nice-looking, though not as pretty as jerseys. Jerseys are by far the prettiest. And they give a lot of cream. I even milked a jersey when I was visiting my cousins. But, that was a long time ago in Canada, and these pictures are from yesterday in Switzerland.

DSCF3539

DSCF3549 I like when their eyes have brown around them better than white. How about you?

DSCF3546 DSCF3548 DSCF4015

This picture didn’t turn out the best, but it is to show that some of the cows wear bells on their necks. They really do. And we hear them. Very quaint.DSCF4001 This one is lovely. (Don’t tell her she has a little mud on her nose.)

DSCF4021 Oh this is a very nice pose.DSCF4022 DSCF4037

DSCF4038

DSCF4048

But even lovely cows in a field aren’t as cute as my cute kids in the rain. They’re just not.DSCF4004

Oh what a cute Ethne.DSCF4005 Watching the ducks. Talmage loves seeing animals. LOVES it.DSCF4006 DSCF4011 Hazel was so cute in this hat. And yes, it is Jethro’s hat, and yes, it caused great strife that she was wearing his hat. But I didn’t make her give it back, because I thought it was so adorable. I wish I had a sewing machine so I could make more.DSCF4033 Love this picture. LOVE. Muddy boots, patched knees, hat, pink coat, Hazel grin. Mmmmm. :)DSCF4040DSCF4039

And some Hazel dancing to finish up with.DSCF4043DSCF4044DSCF4045DSCF4047

Happy rain day!

3 comments:

Lynn said...

I love girls in little poor boys hats. Even big girls too. : D

P.S. No wonder the cows there give more cream. Look at all that luscious green stuff they get to eat. I honestly can't believe how green it is. So beautiful!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kristine N said...

you made that hat? That's awesome! where did you get the pattern? I want to make one too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails