Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Gruyere Castle etc.

So my very wonderful, nice, lovely friend Kathrin again invited me for an outing, and again volunteered her family to babysit my kids.  I loooooove Kathrin!  We had a sensational time, and we got to see some really cool castles and some art and some cute little towns, and chat and chat and chat.  When I picked up the kids, they had had dinner, so when I got home with them I put them straight to bed (7:30) without even brushing teeth or anything (they were very tired), and Brett had made dinner and we ate it together by ourselves and then Brett did the dishes.  Really, can a day better than that even exist?

So, here is what we did.  We started out by going to Gruyere, in the midst of the Fribourg foothills in the French-speaking part of Switzerland.  And we toured the Castle which has been there since, oh, about 1270.  “The tour of the castle offers a walk through eight centuries of architecture, history, and culture.”

DSCF3657

 DSCF3660 DSCF3662 DSCF3664 DSCF3674 Grue means crane in French, so that is where the names Gruyeres came from and they were all over the place.

DSCF3685 DSCF3693 DSCF3696 DSCF3698 DSCF3699  DSCF3706 DSCF3709 DSCF3715  DSCF3717DSCF3716 This room- the Knights’ Room- had paintings of the history of the castle over all it’s walls.  It was very impressive.DSCF3719 DSCF3722

There were art exhibitions in some places, and these are some pieces I thought were cool.  This giant has the Gruyeres Castle on his head, but he doesn’t seem to notice, as he’s contemplating a tomato.DSCF3705

The three below were by the same artist, who had an exhibition.  I thought they were very cool, and they reminded me of James C. Christensen.  I’m pretty sure his name is Thomas Woodruff.DSCF3727 DSCF3729 DSCF3730 DSCF3733  We walked down from the castle a different way, and we were noting that we had just discussed on the way there our lack of directional sense, yet we did find the car in the end.  :)

DSCF3740 Then we stopped in Avenches, where there are ruins of a Roman amphitheater.  So that was cool, but unfortunately the museum was closed because it was a Monday and many museums are not open on Mondays.DSCF3749 DSCF3751 DSCF3752Then we went to a town called Murten.

DSCF3758 We walked around in the battlement, which was pretty sweet.

DSCF3765  DSCF3771  DSCF3773 DSCF3774 DSCF3777 DSCF3778 DSCF3779 DSCF3780 They have pretty gardens in what used to be the moat.DSCF3782 DSCF3785

DSCF3786It was so fun.  It was also very cold.  It was by far the coldest day we’d had in a long time.  We had planned on doing quite a long hike, but decided against it.  And when we went to Bern together earlier, it was the coldest day in a while.  So obviously we need to go somewhere again and break the cold trend.  Sounds good to me. 

5 comments:

Lynn said...

You are so lucky to live where so much old history is. I love it! It's just like the pictures I see in the books about these places. So very cool!!!

P.S. Who was taking the pictures when the two of you were in the shots together??

Unknown said...

Your blog is amazing....the photographs are wonderful! The inforamtion is really inspiring and makes me google it all so I can learn more!

Thanks so much!

Jane in Maryland

Alisha Erin said...

Love, love, love Gruyere. Always a fun trip. :) So glad you had fun!! You're having such an awesome experience there.

Kami said...

Oh, Gruyere is definitely my favorite castle that you've been to yet. Loved the guys art work too. I'm glad you're having so much fun.

Christal said...

I love your trips and pictures and adventures around switzerland !!!You lucky girl! What a fun experience and memories to last a lifetime!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails