Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Hazel’s Nature Birthday Party

We finally had Hazel’s party almost a month after her birthday.  But I think she preferred late to never.  :) 
She requested a Nature Party and I was good with that.  So here are the invitations we made.
IMGP1064
And then we rolled them up like so.  Very cute.
IMGP1070  It was pretty fun and easy to decorate the little table.  I got a red tablecloth, and we borrowed a gnome from a neighbor, and a log, and the kids gathered naturey stuff -  Leaves, pinecones, flowers, a nest. 
IMGP1225
Oh yeah, we also made a little branch vase by getting a tin can and breaking sticks to about that height, putting an elastic around them and covering it with raffia.  I think it’s cute.
IMGP1239
So… these cupcakes umm, they were a good idea but the execution didn’t go too well.  Oh well.  They were supposed to be little cupcake pops like the ones here.  Many things went wrong.  I’ll spare you the details.  Oh, except one.  Those little white spots?  They are little non-sugar sweeteners for tea and stuff.  So I figured they’d be sweet and taste if not good at least all right.  Well, turns out they tasted more like baking soda.  NASTY.  I used them anyway since I wanted the mushrooms to have spots, and had the kids pick them off.  Which is harder than it sounds because those mushrooms are chocolate, not fondant.
IMGP1227
IMGP1228
And I fail as a mother because I didn’t even take one picture of just Hazel with her cupcakes.  Ruff.
IMGP1231
I crocheted these little acorn cap necklaces for everyone (they only took a couple minutes), and Ethne found some old hazelnuts outside, since there aren’t any acorns this time of year.  Idea from here.
IMGP1238  IMGP1295
    IMGP1288
Then I sent the kids to the woods to collect things for their terrariums.  I told them to stay together and not get lost.  They complied.  Good kids.  Here they are on their way back.
IMGP1260
Then they all got a jar (found at the thrift store) and created a terrarium.  They found everything except I bought some little flowers and little birds.  They turned out pretty cute.
IMGP1262
IMGP1267
IMGP1270 IMGP1273
IMGP1274
IMGP1285 
After that they just played until it was time for everyone to go home.  Then almost all of them ran home and asked if they could stay longer and came back.  :)
IMGP1305
Oh yeah, see in Ethne’s right hand there’s a little pencil with a yellow top?  I was trying to make toadstool pencils like these, but I could not find little wooden buttons anywhere- we scoured the Bauhaus (which is like Lowes or Home Depot) to no avail.  I was quite annoyed.  I was running into that kind of thing a bunch while trying to get things for the party- a bunch of things I don’t know where to find here, or if they even have them.  In the States I would know.  It’s annoying.  Anyhow, Brett was a hero and whittled me little buttons which I then glued onto the ends of the pencils and let the girls paint themselves.  And I don’t seem to have a picture, even though I thought I took one. 
Anywho, the kids had fun and we even taught them some American games like Red Rover and Duck Duck Goose. 
IMGP1242
IMGP1314
Hazel, being Hazel, drew a little gnome for decoration.  Isn’t he cute?
IMGP1316
The end.

13 comments:

Alisha Erin said...

That might be the cutest birthday party ever. Wow.

nicole said...

Totally fantastic. You rock my socks off. I love love love the acorn necklaces. Way to be, way to be.

Lynn said...

Awesome!!! No wonder they all came running back to play. ; D

Sarah Harrington said...

Did you say you fail as a mother?!? Hardly!! I was just sitting here thinking how amazing you are. Never say that again- K? The party was ADORABLE!! You even crocheted your party favors? You rock woman!!! Don't feel bad about your cupcakes- they totally look like mushrooms to me (remember Hunter's leaning tower of blocks?- I still hate making cakes!) And lastly, when did Hazel get so big?????!!! I think I still picture her as 4. That's it- Hazel will be 4 in my mind forever. She was a darling 4 year old too. Miss you!!

Andrea said...

I would hate you for this party except I know you too well. Ha.

Must go clean up, yep--you guessed--poo.

Would you still crochet your party favors if all of a sudden you had 10 kids all the same age??? I already know the answer--yes, you would. But again, I don't hate you because I know you too well.

Call me tomorrow because I'm going to have news. The kind I can't blog about. Yet.

Charlotte said...

Great job Kayli!! Everything was sooo cute!

Amanda said...

So cute! I love the idea of a nature party, I may go whisper it into Maya's ear as she sleeps.

Tracy said...

Adorable party theme! And I love the tin can/stick vase! I just might do that sometime.

Kami said...

That was so adorable!!! Wow.

Megan said...

YOU ROCK!! That was awesome.

Missy said...

What a cute party! I love all of the details.

Anonymous said...

Great party Kayli. I am glad that is what Hazel wanted because it turned out awesome. Cute ideas and I really liked the stick vase too. Happy bday, Hazel. Love you.
Mom R.

Kristi said...

so cute. love that you crocheted those necklaces! you are so awesome!

Related Posts with Thumbnails