Monday, February 22, 2010

Apple Cake

My newest favorite dessert. And that's a little weird, considering most of my favorite desserts include lots of chocolate, or icecream, or ummm, chocolate. :) But give it a try anyway.

Okay, so actually the recipe, from a Quick Cooking magazine, is called Cream Cheese Apple Muffins, but I didn’t have a muffin tin with me here in der Schweiz, and I like cake better anyway. But I’ll start out with the original recipe and then tell you what I changed up.

Ingredients:

1 pkg. (3 oz) cream cheese, softened

3/4 cup sugar

2 eggs

1/2 cup milk

1/4 butter or marg, melted

1 Tbsp lemon juice

1 tsp vanilla extract

1-1/2 cups flour

1-1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 cup diced peeled tart apples

1/2 cup bran flakes

Topping: 1-1/2 tsp sugar

1 tsp ground cinnamon

In mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, eggs, milk, butter, lemon juice and vanilla; beat until smooth. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir into cream cheese mixture just until moistened. Fold in apples and bran flakes.

Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Combine topping ingredients, sprinkle over batter. Bake at 375 F for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.

Yield: 1 dozen

SO. when I first made this is was right after we got to our apartment. I didn’t have a muffin tin, but it sounded good and it didn’t include any ingredients I can’t get here like corn syrup or brown sugar (okay and actually you can’t get baking powder here either, but I brought some with me because I’m genius like that). I left out the lemon juice, vanilla extract, and bran flakes (because for heaven’s sake I was making a CAKE, not muffins—let us not ever put anything so healthy as bran flakes into our cakes!). Also, I didn’t peel my apples first. I just diced em perty small and they were GREAT! Then I put all the batter into a greased glass pan. I’m not sure what size it is, it’s not as big as 9X13 though. It’s what we got at the second-hand store that we first went to to stock up on needed supplies that we hadn’t brought with us.

And finally, and this is the CRUCIAL part, I served the apple cake in a bowl covered GENEROUSLY with cream. I am my mother’s daughter, after all. Mmmmm, mmmmmmmmmm, MMMMMMMMM!!!

Do give it a try. And let me know how it turns out! En guete!

2 comments:

Heather S. said...

Oh my, that does sound good. I need to try that soon. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Christina Allen said...

If you can get ahold of molasses in Switzerland, you can make your own brown sugar by mixing one tablespoon of molasses with one cup of regular white sugar- just grind them together with a fork until fluffy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails