Wednesday, September 9, 2009

School

Can you believe my little Hazel bean is riding the school bus??!!

So, the picture below is Jethro and Hazel eating their traditional first-day-of-school crepes (Jethro's in the shape of a 2, Hazel's in the shape of a K) with icecream and chocolate sauce.
And they were all ready to go. Their clothes had been laid out the night before, their bags were packed, etc.
However, we got to the school and filled out papers and they were so excited....but then they had to go home again because they didn't have their Hep A shots which are required here. (But not required in Indiana obviously.) So Hazel was crying and disappointed and I tried to console her by saying that she just had to go get a shot and then she could go to Kindergarten, but saying that you have to get a shot just isn't that comforting somehow.
Anyway, we went and got the shots and the next day Grandma took them to school because Brett and I had appointments with the dentist--my sister Lindsay. Mom said that she went to pick up Hazel when school was over, but she wouldn't come. She said, "I go home on the bus." So Mom went home again and waited for her at the bus stop. :) She and Jethro are both enjoying their short stint at Lincoln Elementary.

On a not-so-related topic, when we were getting our shots at the health clinic, I asked if there were any shots that were recommended if you were going to Europe. The lady said no, they're the same as here and asked where we were going etc. She was from Portugal and she said that her mother and her decided if they were ever going to live in a different country they'd pick Switzerland. Thank you lady at the health clinic!! I love when people are excited and encouraging. She also said the kids would pick up German so fast I wouldn't believe it. She said her kids were in Portugal for three weeks and were already speaking Portuguese quite well. I hope so, cause I'm just a little nervous about them going to school--mainly because I know I would hate to be where I couldn't understand anybody.

Another topic--Lindsay cleaned our teeth and it was weird because when did my little sister get old enough to look all official-dental-personish and clean my teeth? Plus she made me bleed, but only a little, so mainly it was fun. :)

3 comments:

Tracy said...

oh, they are so cute. and oh, that is so sad that they couldn't go to their first day of school! I would have cried too.

I miss you. We only go to play volleyball at the church until 9:30 last night because of Family Promise (homeless families living at the church). It sucked. But I'm glad the homeless people have a place to stay.

Lynn said...

Ah.....they are so cute! I think that traditional meal for the first day of school is a fantastic idea. Who doesn't love choc. and icecream!

Dean's cousin and his family went to live in Germany for 5 years due to his new job there and their kids were your kids' ages. They picked up the German language SO quick and they just LOVED it there. So, I am guessing your kids will love the language too.

Kris said...

They are just NOW starting school? Crazy! Yeah, I don't think I would be comforted knowing I had to get a shot to go to school! That's so sad they had to leave! So when do you leave for Switzerland again?

Related Posts with Thumbnails