Sunday, September 13, 2009

Happy Grandparents' Day!

My dad was looking at the calendar and happened to notice that it is Granparents' Day today (something we've neither celebrated nor noticed before), and he mentioned it in Hazel's hearing, so OF COURSE she hopped around planning decorations, games, treats, etc. The girl loves a party. :) And party we did. We made fudge (mmmmmm!!!), cookies, and strawberries and cream. After we had that, my dad said, "Now what's for dessert?"

We also played a little game and Hazel begged Grandpa for a story about when he was a little boy. Which never fails to impress.

He said, "When I was a young'un, I was riding my horse in the Cardston parade. I saw a pretty girl, so I had her hop up behind me and then my horse got a fly under it's belly and went all crazy, and laid down and the girl got her leg caught under the horse and broke it. And do you think that girl went out with me ever again?" (She did, in high school by the way. It wasn't my mom.) It was funny.

Another one I started by saying, "Did you know Grandpa shot his own toe?" And he said, "I did. I was out hunting with my brother and I said, 'I'm going to shoot the next thing that moves,' and my toe moved so I shot it! I'll teach that toe to move when I tell it not to." And Hazel paused for a minute, and then let out this hilarious high-pitched giggle-shriek and thought it was the funniest thing she'd ever heard. And she said, "But you're the one that made it move!"

Today in church Talmage was being out of control because he really needed a nap and my mom took him for me for a bit, and then she saw my dad come down the hall so she handed Tell to him, and when I saw him after church he had red stuff all over his shirt and vest and I said, "What did you feed him?" and Dad said, "Red licorice." What a surprise.

And he said that another guy saw him come in holding Tell and said, "It just goes to show, the uglier the bull, the handsomer the calf."

My dad cut a cartoon out of the paper today and hung it up with my mom and my dad's name in it. It's Hagar the Horrible and they're in bed at night and Hagar/Jack is yelling "No, No!! Please!! Anything but this!! AAAAAUUUUGGGH! Let me out!!"
And Hagar's wife/Lorie says "Wake up!" and he says, ">Gasp!<>
"You were having a nightmare!!"
">Whew!<>
"What was it about?"
"I was trapped in a dress store with you FOREVER...while you looked and
looked but NEVER bought anything!!!"

Basically that was written for my mom. :)

I talked to Brett today on the phone and I started getting mad at him for stealing the camera to take camping with him, but he actually hadn't taken it. My brother had used it and it was down in the downstairs garage. So all this time I was mad that I didn't have a camera, I really did. Not that I didn't have other pictures I could have posted--because I do. But you know.

Like these ones--they're from last weekend when we went out to a baseball game with my brother Wyatt and his wife Lindsay Ann. (I thought of you guys--Steve and Katrina, although it was only a AAA.)
Like this one? I took it myself. :)

(Oh, and first they fed us a sensational dinner of poutine. Mmmm-mmmm! If you aren't Canadian, look it up.) Anyway, we had a smashing time. We didn't stay for the whole game, but we had fun for awhile. We made up our own names for the players, well, actually only the black players. There was only one on each team so we could easily remember them. Good times.

Wyatt makes me laugh so hard. For example, he came over to my mom's house while my mom and dad happened to be gone, and Brett and I and Wyatt and Lindsay Ann were playing Rook, and my mom and dad got home, and he hid under the table --Lindsay Ann was in full view, their car was outside, mom and dad knew they were coming over that night--but he still hid under the table for a few minutes and made high pitched comments like, "You can't see me," for a second, and then he jumped out and said "SURPRISE!!!" And my mom kinda shook her head laughing AT him, and he laughed forever. You had to be there but it was so funny.
Then the same night, the phone rang and Wyatt picked it up and answered in this way way low voice, and he kept talking that way for a minute, but then I started laughing, so then he started laughing and couldn't keep talking, so he tried to hand the phone off to me, but of course I couldn't talk, so Lindsay Ann had to take it. Good thing she's a grown-up.

Anyway, I need to go to bed and go to sleep. Tschus!

1 comment:

Kerry said...

Poutine! Yummmmmm! I had that when we were in Drummondville, Quebec. I wish I could recreate it. Know a good recipe? Actually, the hard part is finding cheese curds where I live.

Related Posts with Thumbnails