Thursday, March 4, 2010

I'm so proud

This is not actually a picture of our van, it's just a picture I got online. But it's what our van looks like.I'm so very proud of myself. I actually DROVE the van to the store to get groceries today. Now, this may not seem like such a feat, but when you realize how very wimpy I can be when it comes to driving sometimes (Kami told me I should go to counseling after I drove with her in Chicago once), it's a great feat indeed--I mean, a vehicle I've never driven in, in a COUNTRY I've never driven in. That's awesome. AND I only called Brett twice. The first time was, I admit, just a little silly.
Kayli: How do you turn on the van?
Brett: How do you turn it on?
Kayli: Uh, yeah.
Brett: You push in the clutch and turn the key...
Kayli: Clutch! -Right. Bye.
That pushing in the clutch step is tricky sometimes. Yes, I have driven manuals before.
The second call was not as silly, because I didn't know there is a button on the steering column you have to push to be able to take the keys out.
Anyhow. I drove down the street, speeding through those roundabouts like I'm a native, parked in the parking garage with scary-skinny parking spots, grocery shopped (though I forgot to bring a 2-frank coin, so I couldn't get a cart (though I did figure out that you can use one of the ones with a baby seat on them for free), and I forgot my bags), and went back home successfully. And how very very NICE it was not to push a grocery-laden stroller and two whiny children in the cold from the bus stop all the way (and it is a long way) to my house. Ahhhhhh, the sweetness of a vehicle in my life.

Also, I just thought I'd let you know that soon I will be interviewing Brett J Bell for this very blog, and so you're welcomed, nay, encouraged, to leave any questions for him in the comments. Anything at all--trivial or deep, whatever you've always wondered about the man. Such as, why he ever conceded to marrying a crazy redhead. (I'm sure it was a weak moment, but we all must pay for our weak moments.) ;) On that note, here is a little video of an interview that is sure to make you smile (Monty Python usually will).

6 comments:

Kami said...

Yes, I would like to ask Brett what kind of drill I should get Leo for Christmas, and what would be a good price for it--I know he brought his on Ebaby. I was kind of hoping to do the same. Thank you.

Rockelle said...

Kayli, I did NOT know that mini vans ever came with stick shifts. CRAZY...hey and I will come visit you in SWIZTERLAND! you can pretend that I was always your favorite cousin!

Andrea said...

Today I miss you. Congrats on your van.

Lynn said...

Well, you are way ahead of me if you can even attempt to drive a vehicle with a stick shift. I gave up on that attempt years ago!

WAY to go. You rock it girl!

Christine Merrill said...

Kayli, the Merrills would love to hear Brett's comments on his new job, what he thinks now about what he wants to do next, and how he is feeding his hands-on hobby urges in your new place! (Hi, Brett!)

Megan said...

Congrats!!! Driving is very scary over there!!! You are very brave!

Related Posts with Thumbnails