Monday, April 20, 2009

Bug Bowl

Last Saturday was Purdue's Spring Fest, better known as the Bug Bowl. I don't remember if we've gone every year we've lived here, but most anyway. It's a good time.

Making chia pets.
Ethne getting her face painted.
There are insects galore at the Bug Bowl. Including really big bees.
And you can even EAT bugs, if you are so inclined. I asked Jethro if he was going to eat a bug this year, and he said no. But I reminded him that this could very possibly be our last year here, so it was now or never. And since he's an awesome kid, that's all it took, and he said okay.

Here he is with a cricket on his tongue. No fear.
Hmmm.
Good!
And here's Hazel with a meal-worm infested brownie.
NOT!---she didn't really eat it! She got it that close to her mouth and promptly set it down, saying, "Changed my mind." :) (Brett ate the meal-worm brownie and fried meal-worms and crickets. What a man.)

This is the Head-Honcho Entomologist himself, or Spokesman for Roach Hill Downs--The Greatest Show in Cockroach Racing. Better known to us as Brother Provonsha. I love that guy. He's so funny. And he really loves bugs. :)
Here's a picture of the Cockroach Tractor Pull.
Brett and Talmage watching in fascination. (Brett got to come with us for a little while in the morning until he had to go be a T.A. and he took Talmage for me, since he was falling asleep, so that the other kids and I could go see more things. Sweet!)
Jethro holding something. I don't know what it's called since I didn't really listen. But there's no way I would have held it.
Hazel petting a Madagascar hissing cockroach.
That scary thing again.
Hazel looking cute with her face painted.
Holding a really cute baby duck. Except Ethne was scared of it.
Good times at the Bug Bowl. Talmage was wiped out by the end. What a CUTE boy!!

4 comments:

Lynn said...

Bug Bowl!?? Food with REAL bugs in it to eat?? Well, now I have seen and heard it all.

But then again, wasn't there something about someone living on Locusts and honey in the scriptures? I think Locust Brownies sound just as sweet. : P

My kids would LOVE something like this. Okay....maybe not so much the girls....and maybe just at a distance. That was SO cool those very large bugs they had to pet. Amazingly cool!

My grade 1 teacher had a large beetle with rhinestones encrusted on its back. She had it tied to a leash that was pinned down on her jacket. It would crawl around on her shoulder and upper chest area like a LIVE broach. At night she would put it in it's habitat filled with sand, food and water. I just thought it was SO cool! And so pretty with those rhinestones on it.

Andrea said...

Please don't post such disgustingness again. Thank you.

PS--WHERE'S YOUR TROLL LETTER YOU LAZY BAG OF BONES???

dana said...

You guys are a seriously cute family! I don't mean to have a family crush on you or anything, but dude you're all adorable. Looks like a fun outing!

Christy said...

Ohhh, I miss the bug bowl! The kids always had so much fun!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails