Saturday, April 5, 2008

Kami - Part II

I don't have very many memories from when we still lived in Canada, but one thing I do remember was that one night I got out of my bed and came into the kitchen to see Kami in the glow of the refrigerator light, putting oranges in the huge green tupperware bowl. She told me she was running away (she had gotten in trouble that day and was obviously still upset about it) so I thought it'd be cool to go with her. We got a couple houses down where I remember crouching behind a bush. We were cold and my ankle hurt because I was wearing gum boots with no socks and it was rubbing, so we went back home.

We were quite young to make our way in the world, being 3 or 4 and 5, but I feel confident we would have done well because we are a good team.

I remember we played a lot together behind the empty lot in Layton. I remember going through the big pipe-thingee under the road, finding some kind of animal trap, and I wonder if Kami will ever forgive me for the time I tested her booby trap that she had spent hours digging and then carefully covering with twigs and leaves.

We always went to school together, played on the same softball teams, shared a room (and from the time we were very little Mom and Dad would have to yell "Stop talking and go to sleep!" and then when we finally did get our own rooms, occasionally we'd have to go back so we could talk again to the wee hours of the morning).

We also fought some too. But I had to do sneaky things like steal her tapes that she had spent a long time making and go smash them with a hammer because I wasn't tough enough to beat her up physically.

In highschool we would get up and get ready for early-morning seminary together, and we were so tired that we didn't want to talk, so if we needed something that was in front of or past the other one, we would just push the person out of the way, and that was how we did it. I only realized that we did that after I married Brett and I'd be getting ready for church in the morning and I'd go to grab the hairspray or whatever, and I'd just nudge him out of the way to grab it, and he'd be like, "You COULD say excuse me!" ha ha.

We'd go to parties together and after we got home we'd stay up even later talking about what so-and-so said, or how this person acted, etc. We walked home from school together and talked about how we needed a car, and when we got Pinky (best car ever no matter WHAT Brett says) I would drive and she would navigate and we were awesome. And we both worked at Dairy Queen, because Dairy Queen is very tasty stuff and we got to bring home mistakes. And when I had a "boyfriend" (I don't know why I feel the need to put that in quotations but I do), Kami drove around the school parking lot doing really sharp turns and circles, so that we would have to lean against each other in the back, because she is cool like that.

We went to the same university at the same time and lived directly across from each other (only because our dad said he thought we shouldn't live together) and she was there when I met Brett--in fact was pretty much the reason I met him, since she was his next door neighbour-- and when we got engaged, and put up with us when we were all lovey-dovey engaged, and was there when we got married and was my Maid of Honor which is what we'd planned from when we were little. She was there when I had Jethro.......wait a minute! No she wasn't! And why was she not there for that momentous occasion???!! Because she was galavanting off in Arizona meeting some crazy Colombian dude. Rude.

I remember the very first time I saw her after she came back from her summer in Arizona and she sat on the couch in my living room in my apartment and she told me about this guy she'd met a few weeks earlier named Leo, and how she liked him so much and how he wasn't a member, and then she started to cry and I thought Oh boy, this is the Real Deal. And then we went to Charlie's and got a box of chocolate creamies, which I think was a very VERY good way to handle the situation.

Then she married the Leo guy (who got baptized just in case you were wondering), and moved away to far away places like Arizona and Florida and New Mexico, and I moved to a far away place called Indiana, and we didn't see each other for YEEEEEEEEEARS it seemed like, and then we both had baby girls who started with the letter 'E', but THEN......... she moved to Chicago just to be closer to me because she LOVES ME!!!!!!!! And now we're even going to have our next babies a month apart or so because we're so connected like that. AND...... she's coming to visit me next week just because she loves me. And that makes me happy. :)



...Okay, okay, okay, she's also coming next week because a guy is paying her $300 to take some parts from his store in Chicago to a store here, but STILL, she really does love me!

5 comments:

Kami said...

Ahhhh.... I'm so touched I don't know what to say, except I forgot you smashed my tape! Rude!

Lynn said...

LOL!
Ahhhh...........the is NOTHIN' like sisters! What a cool tribute to her. Now I miss my sisters.

Anonymous said...

Where is "Kami -Part I"?? I want to read it!

Andrea said...

Excuse me--TWO posts on Kami and still nothin' on me??! Hmm? You're soon to be famous writing partner?? Hmm?? The OTHER sister who had a baby with an E name at the same time as you?? HMMM?? That's it. I'm not finishing our book until I get some respect. (Or maybe I'm not finishing our book because I am having a major mental crisis about what happens next. WHAT HAPPENS NEXT???????? The life of an author is never smooth. Or something like that.)

Andrea said...

LOL. That was great Kayli. Makes me want to have my kids close together. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails