Monday, March 19, 2012

Paris

So did I mention we went to Paris?  We stayed there one afternoon and night and then flew to Morocco the next morning.  Because I wanted to fly into Tangier, which doesn’t have nearly as many options for cheap flights as Marrakech, it actually worked out to be a lot cheaper to do it this way.  Also, we had a half-day in Paris.  And even though Paris was not really on our list of places to see in Europe, as long as it was working out that way, why not?

Here’s Brett in front of Notre Dame.

IMGP9632  IMGP9634

IMGP9636 IMGP9637 IMGP9639 

IMGP9643 

IMGP9651 IMGP9652

I didn’t go up to the top and see the gargoyles and all that because we weren’t allowed in with our backpacks, and as it was Brett just waited outside for me.  Although I think it would have been cool, I wasn’t too bummed because after all, I have been up to the top of the Münster in Bern a couple times.

IMGP9653 IMGP9654 IMGP9655

It was a little cold, but actually we were really lucky because it had been really rainy and much colder earlier.  We had to carry our backpacks everywhere, and there was a lot of walking.  We went the wrong way one time and that was silly, but then we got on the bus.  Yay!  Also, Paris’ metros and things are SOOO DIRTY and stinky compared to beautiful, clean, Switerzerland’s. 

IMGP9658  IMGP9661 IMGP9662 IMGP9663 IMGP9666 IMGP9668 IMGP9669

Arc de Triomphe.

IMGP9677     IMGP9697 IMGP9698 IMGP9702 

We went up the Arc de Triomphe, even though we really shouldn’t have been allowed with our backpacks.  Luckily they were nice and let us.

IMGP9705 IMGP9709  IMGP9715 IMGP9716  IMGP9719 IMGP9726

Gift shop.

IMGP9735

It’s pretty much required to take a kissing picture in front of the Eiffel Tower, right?

IMGP9741 IMGP9753

I have to admit, it was pretty neat taking pictures of the Eiffel Tower, I think partly because of how iconic it is, but also because of the lines and how different you can get the angles with different compositions and all that jazz.

IMGP9755

IMGP9756 IMGP9763

IMGP9759  IMGP9771

IMGP9774

IMGP9777  IMGP9780

IMGP9783 IMGP9785

IMGP9787

 IMGP9796 IMGP9800 IMGP9806 IMGP9807 

So we had a nice little taste of Paris, but we were so beat at the end since we had gotten up at something like 4:30 in the morning to get to on the train to get to the airport in Geneva.  And hardly any restaurants were open until 7:00, so we were wandering around trying to see something that didn’t intimidate us too much (foodies we are not, and French food can be pretty weird – although our lunch was fantastic- gyros in the Latin quarter).  We eventually found a restaurant and Brett had pizza and I had salmon.  Mmm.  And then we went to our hosts home- we couchsurfed for that night (meaning we stayed with some strangers who were willing to let us come stay with them no charge) and they were really nice and we chatted for a little while and they helped us figure out where we were supposed to go to catch our shuttle to the airport the next morning.  It was a tad bit strange, but mostly really great.

The end.

8 comments:

Sarah Harward said...

I have loved all of these posts about your trip! And I'm insanely jealous of all this fun traveling you're able to do!! Also, I think I would be terrified to couchsurf! You are braver than I!!

Alissa said...

What?! No camels in Paris?! The nerve.

emily ballard said...

Awesome. You are brave, brave, brave to go couch surfing.

Alisha Erin said...

I love that you couch surfed. We did that in Serbia.

And that Paris was not on your must-see list in Europe is one of the reasons I like you. :)

Dru Davis said...

It looks like a gorgeous day! Love your pictures. Not sure I get how couch surfing works?

Anonymous said...

beautiful!

Steve and Katrina said...

My sister is going to Mexico and couch surfing and I think she is crazy. I would be so scared to do that. But she said it is really safe and everything. You are brave! I had no clue you went to Paris too! I can't believe all the traveling you have done. Makes me super jealous. I don't think Paris would be on the top of my list of places to see either. But I would love to if given the chance. Anyway, I have loved seeing all the pictures from your trip.

Christal said...

beautiful fun and lucky!! Someday I want to go!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails