Thursday, June 30, 2011

Jethro and Hazel and German

Sometimes—well actually, quite frequently—I am still a bit weirded out that my kids speak German. When I hear them speak it (which is of course not very much at home) I am amazed.

The other day I asked Hazel how she learned German. She said, “When I was in kindergarten, the teacher just told me things in English, so I didn’t learn it. Then in first grade, everyone spoke German, so I listened to it, and I learned it.” I asked her if she ever got frustrated when she didn’t understand something, and she said, “No. If I didn’t understand something I just raised my hand and told my teacher I didn’t understand.” Oh the EASE. It is amazing!!!

So here is a video of Jethro and Hazel a la Deutsch. (You would not believe how much I had to harass and threaten them to get them to do this, and then they had a good time. Sillies.)

They are so cute. Here are a couple still shots from within the video—I love Hazel’s expressions:

IMGP0803 IMGP0803-1

Okay, but my FAVORITE thing is that I got all these pictures afterwards because they were being so funny and happy with each other. I am IN LOVE with how genuinely happy they are in these! Hazel’s smiles in particular are sooo candid and natural because Jethro was being goofy and I also think Jethro looks particularly cute in these pictures.

IMGP0804

IMGP0805

IMGP0807

IMGP0808

IMGP0810

IMGP0812

Jethro totally had the idea for this. He said, “She should act like she’s going to kiss me, and I’ll make a face.” Then Hazel was laughing. :)IMGP0813

HA ha!

IMGP0818

IMGP0820

IMGP0821

IMGP0822

This one of acting like they're going to hit each other was also Jethro’s idea. Too bad Hazel looks like she’s going to hit herself! ;)

IMGP0823

These pictures reminded me of these ones (taken in Sep 2007) (look how little they were! and look at the milk rings that Jethro used to always wear on his wrists) -

image

GOSH my kids are adorable!!!!! I Jethro and Hazel!!!! (Yes, I just typed a heart for the first time in my life. It seemed fitting.)

8 comments:

Lynn said...

That is AWESOME!! I Am so envious of anyone who can speak a second language.

Anonymous said...

Wowsers, that's pretty amazing and the pictures are adorable. I especially love how you had the pictures of when they were little too.
Kami

Andrea said...

I didn't realize that they look almost EXACTLY alike except the nose, chin dimple, and hair color. Gosh.

Well, Hazel usually looks sweet and darling and Jethro looks suspicious or put out. Maybe that threw me off.

Missy said...

I agree, when Addie occasionally says a German word I look at her like she is some kind of alien. It is strange and amazing!

Kathy said...

In the words of Hazel 'Das is cool'. Seriously, I was FASCINATED by this!! So sweet!
p.s. This is Sarah Harward, I'm at my mom's and signed into her account.

Anonymous said...

They are so adorable. Love them and miss them. Love their laughs! I could hear Hazel just laughing her cute little laugh.
Mom R

Ginger said...

Wow, neat-o! I could almost follow what they were saying from all my 4 years of High School German, but not quite...

Gigi said...

Kayli, seeing Jethro and Hazel speak German is SO cool! I love it! I wish my dad had taught us how to speak Dutch when we were little. I still love listening to him.

Oh, and they're also adorable!
Take care.

Related Posts with Thumbnails