Monday, May 17, 2010

Date Day.

So a very lovely and very generous lady in our ward offered to watch our children on Saturday so Brett and I could go out. She told us we could leave in the morning and come back when we were tired. Oh, the beauty and generosity of such a statement. How we appreciated our day!

We got into a tiff in the morning (had to laugh that you and Leo did the same thing, Kam), but once we dropped the kids off and got going, we had a fantastic time. We went to Interlaken where we happened to see that there were these old-fashioned steam engines being displayed, so that was cool for Brett.

DSCF4812 Then we got lunch, and it was delicious. Well, Brett’s was delicious, and I really wished I had ordered a kebob like him. Mmmmm mmm. I want one right now.

Then we drove to Lauterbrunnen.DSCF4828 Did I mention it was gray and drizzly all day, just like it’s been for the last TWO WEEKS?!! It was. Everything was shrouded in cloudy mist. Not so good for the views, but cool in it's own way.DSCF4830 We went up and saw the Falls inside the mountain. Here are a few waterfall pictures from the way too many that we took.DSCF4840

DSCF4843 DSCF4859 DSCF4869 DSCF4873Then we drove to the Grindelwald Glacier. In the picture below, you can see the steps we climbed going up the mountain. Apparently there were 890 stairs. I didn’t count.DSCF4890 We were glad we didn’t come here with kids, because it wasn’t kid friendly. We could imagine Hazel slipping and falling to her death. She nearly does that on a daily basis anyway, without steep wooden slippery stairs going up a cliff face. DSCF4897

DSCF4898 DSCF4900 So I don’t look the best in this picture, but hey- I had just climbed 890 stairs.DSCF4905 Then there was this suspended bridge.DSCF4932There’s me on the bridge.DSCF4911

Hallo.DSCF4912Underneath the bridge it looks like this. On our way back, we got a whole bunch of big rocks and dumped them over and watched them break, or ricochet or splash. Good times. DSCF4914 DSCF4920 Then we may or may not have climbed over the fence and climbed farther to actually see the glacier. Apparently, global warming has shrunk the glaciers a bunch, and so they’re not nearly what they used to be. Says one person’s blog, “When Sue and I were last here in 1994 the Grindelwald Glacier was one of the region's great tourist attractions. A short walk brought you to the head of the glacier, from where you climbed a few steps to a tunnel carved deep into the ice. Inside were ice sculptures, but the best sight was the amazing deep blue ice all around, which was estimated be thousands of years old.”

Now you have to climb past the “Danger” signs to even see the glacier. Here’s another article you can read about it if you feel like it.

But anyway, Brett did see the glacier and took this picture, but he says it was cooler in real life.DSCF4927 So, a day in the clouds with my honey. We had a really great time. I love being with Brett.DSCF4941 Brett loves me too. I know because after we watched the movie David Copperfield and we were talking about how lucky David was that his first wife, Dora, got sick and died so that he could marry Agnes, whom he really loved more – Brett said, “You don’t need to die because I don’t want to marry anyone else.” Such sweet reassurances warm my heart. ;)

4 comments:

Kristi said...

I hate those swinging/suspension bridges. they scare me. that picture of you sitting on the top scares me. but it is pretty. and sad that the glacier is melting. I think we are feeling the global warming here today, it is sweltering!- but a couple weeks ago when it was snowing I thought global warming was all a hoax. crazy stuff.

allison said...

Okay, so we just got internet again after moving again and we read your post about the house. thanks for the blessings for us. We should direct the Bowens to that post to see how much work you guys put into it. On another note, we miss you guys. On even another note, the one picture with the dishtowel in it that says, "A clean house is a sign of a wasted life" is so my new theme song. I've been living it for years and just never labeled it so succinctly. Really, we miss you guys. Can we come back?

Side note #3: I've written like four different sentences into this comment that were really funny but Ben vetoed. I have a feeling he wants me to veto this one. Too bad! Xox allison

Megan said...

We visited Interlaken when we were there!!! Cool - glad you had a fun day with your honey. Loved all the pics of your house and all the work you guys did. And all the pics of switzerland. Anders was photographed while we were at Arches. (asian tourists) Myles and Danica were huge hits in Florence. Makes you appreciate how lucky we are to be able to have our kids and not told by the government you can have one.

Lynn said...

WOW! You get to see all kinds of cool stuff. That was amazing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails