Saturday, March 1, 2008

Food


So, I've had a fixation with food lately. The other night I went to Applebee's with a friend, and I ordered some really yummy cheesy noodle stuff with chicken. It was really good, and it was a huge helping. At one point, a little past halfway done, I thought, I should stop now. But, I just kept eating and eating, and I ate it all and my stomach was soooo full! Then I went home and after putting the kids to bed, Brett started watching a movie, so I sat down and joined him. Now, the day before I had made some tortilla soup, which is quite yummy, but my FAVORITE part of it is the fresh cilantro. I *LOVE* cilantro. I only used it really for the first time last summer, and I fell in love. So, anyway, you don't use up all of the cilantro in the bunch for the soup, so I had some left over. In the summer, I always made fresh salsa with it, with the tomatoes in my garden. Now, tomatoes are not in season, and so you pay a whole lot for them, but I decided I couldn't let my cilantro go to waste. :) So I made some fresh salsa, and Brett brought it out and I grabbed a chip, and he's like, "I thought you said you were sooo full?" And I said, "I'm just going to have a few chips." Yeah. It was SOOOOOO good. I can't even describe the goodness of the tomatoey, oniony, limey, salty, CILANTRO-yness. We ate the entire bowl. It was heaven. Absolute heaven. And I was really full. :) (If anyone has any fantastic recipes using cilantro, pass them along please! Brett asked if we had a neighbor who was a witch who had cilanto growing in her garden would I make him go get some and give up my baby. I said, I hope we never have to find out.)

That's not so weird, after all. It's something (at least since last summer) that I know I completely ADORE, but I had a weirder craving today. I actually bought store-bought bread, and the american singles cheese--two things I don't think I've bought in my married life--to make grilled cheese sandwiches. Now, I like grilled cheese sandwiches, but we always just have it with our bread, and regular cheese. In fact, I actually HATE american cheese EXCEPT in grilled cheese sandwiches like these. And I flipped through a magazine this morning, saw an ad for Kraft singles that showed a grilled cheese sandwich (it wasn't the one at above, but you get the idea) and I had to have one. It was delicious too. I had chocolate milk with it to dip it in occasionally (that's how it's done at the Rasmussen house--sometimes we'd have after we got home from boating or other occasions, grilled cheese sandwiches in the waffle iron and chocolate milk, it was such a treat!!) Anyway. We used up the whole loaf of bread in one afternoon. For your information, Kroger american cheese has twice the sodium, half the fat, and half the calcium of Kroger regular block cheddar cheese (not that I care). Anyway. I know I've held you spellbound about my eating habits of late, but we must move on to other news.
We got a new computer. It's WONDERFUL in that we don't have a tons of things half-ways corrupt, and we have a WHOLE lot more space, but also it's hard to get used to a new layout. I always think that the old way is better.

I cut Ethne's hair today. I'm not positive if I'm glad I did or not...it got gradually shorter and shorter as I tried to make it even, but it's not a mullet anymore.

What a cutie.

I like this one. ;)

10 comments:

Lynn said...

Yup! She is a cutie! Loved your fascination with food! I want some salsa now! Can I have your recipe? Please?

Andrea said...

Kayli, the best recipe I have for cilantro is a Thai chicken noodle dish. Very easy. All the ingredients are readily available at the supermarket. It is HEAVENLY! Want it?

Steve and Katrina said...

I just put on my blog some cilatro rice. There is also a recipe for a dip that has lots of cilatro in it on my blog. I love cilantro also. I also have a yummy soup that uses it. It is probably similar to your tortilla soup though. I'll try to remember what else I use cilantro for because I am always buying it. Oh, make bbq chicken pizza and load it with cilantro. That is so good and one of our favorites. Okay, thanks for making me so hungry this fast Sunday morning!!

Love Ethne's hair cut. It makes her look like a real little girl now.

jessica said...

that salsa looks so so yummy! I found taco chips in the cupboard yesterday so i pulled the salsa out of the fridge and dipped it in. The second time I dipped it, I looked at as I did it and there was mold on top! yuck. Brian laughed so hard and I almost threw up! your salsa looks WAY better than canned stuff. You should post the recipe!

Maren said...

Kayli, we are the same food-wise. I LOVE cilantro, too. (I put it in all my Mexican and Thai food.) I also only like American cheese in grilled cheese sandwiches. (Any other time it is yucky!)

And, I also cut Josh's hair this weekend.

This is getting freaky. :)

Amy said...

I LOVE cilantro too! I have a really yummy bbq chicken recipe that uses cilantro (kind of sounds wierd I know, but it's soooo good, especially if you love cilantro!) I also have the wanna-be Cafe Rio/Costa Vida cilantro-ranch salad dressing that's yummy. Send me your email address and I'll email them to you... amylblake@gmail.com

Christina said...

If I didn't know you were pregnant, I could have guessed it from this post!! I love cilantro too! But I mostly just put it in salsa, so I don't have a recipe for you right now.

Katrina said...

Mmmm... cilantro is the best! American cheese... not the best. And dipped in chocolate milk? Never heard of that one.

Christal said...

That picture made me drool (almost) so yummy love the food fascination to fun!! Love the new haircut too your kids are just so cute! So share your recipe you made us all hungry!! TTYL

Kris said...

Well, not to rain on your parade, but I DO NOT like cilantro! :) I love salsa, but I think cilantro is way to strong and I don't like the flavor, but I DO like to put mild jalepenos in my salsa! But I guess SOMEONE needed to be different! ;) Cute cut on Ethne!

Related Posts with Thumbnails