Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Random funnies

Do you guys all remember what may be the greatest show ever--Animaniacs? Remember "Good Idea, Bad Idea?" I can't remember why, but it came up in a conversation Kami and I had the other day. Well, here is something to jog your memory, or if you've never seen one (WHAT?!), here's a sampling.


Good idea: Feeding stray kittens in the park.
Bad idea: Feeding stray kittens in the park to a bear.

GI: Taking a deep breath before jumping into a swimming pool.
BI: Taking a deep breath after jumping into a swimming pool.

GI: Kissing a loved one.
BI: Kissing a total stranger.

GI: Doing your own yard work.
BI: Doing your own dental work.

GI: Dressing up for Halloween as a pirate.
BI: Dressing up for Halloween as a pin~ata.



GI: Whistling while you work.
BI: Whistling while you eat.



GI: Taking up a new hobby like bird calling.
BI: Taking up a new hobby like buffalo calling.



GI: Playing cops'n'robbers in the park.
BI: Playing cops'n'robbers in the bank.'



HAHAHAHAAA!

So, it was a good idea to tell Brett that he had to pick up "extra shifts" to pay for his motorcycle, but now I actually have to pine away at home while he's gone. But...I managed to keep myself occupied with a book and a cup full of icecream (with milk, of course) in the tub, ignoring the dishes to be done and front room to clean (Kami and I also had a conversation recently about the Catch-22ness of self-discipline. You can desire for more, and say to yourself, I just need to have more self-discipline to be more disciplined, but it would TAKE discipline to discipline yourself to get more. see?) anyway... I read a Great Brain book. I'd never read any before, but picked up a couple at the last library book sale I went to a while back. The author, John D. Fitzgerald, tells memories of himself and his brother Tom, who's great brain is always conniving or swindling, when they were growing up in a small Mormon town at about the turn of the century. It's very interesting cause they aren't Mormons. I've read the book that's more about his parents--not targeted to a young audience like the Great Brain books--called "Papa Married a Mormon" and it's really good. ANYWAY. So, because I thought there were some parts that were way funny, I will share. (Obviously, feel free to skip if you aren't interested.)

So, Tom's parents make him use his great brain to help this girl out, and she's really grateful by the end. (By the way Tom is 11 and John-the narrator-is 8).

"Then that worst part of the mushy business came. Dotty looked at Tom and walked over to him. And I'll be a four-legged frog if she didn't kiss him right on the lips.
Poor old T.D.'s ears lit up like red-hot coals in a fireplace. The shock petrified his great brain. He just stood there with a dummy's expression on his face as Mamma and Dotty walked toward our house. I waited for Tom to come out of his shock, and when he didn't, I grabbed him by the shoulders and began shaking him.
"Did it hurt that much?" I asked.
I knew I would have probably dropped dead if a girl had kissed me.
Tom came out of it sudden-like. "Don't be silly," he said. "Dotty was just showing her appreciation for all my great brain did for her."
"Boy!" I said. "I hope I never do anythign that makes a girl appreciate it that much.""
Ha haa.

Their older brother Sweyn, got home from Salt Lake City, where he'd been going to school and started acting all condescending to his brothers.
"This was bad enough, but the day after he got home, Sweyn pulled the dirtiest trick he could on Tom and me. He started going with a girl, and of all the girls he had to pick, it was that stuck-up Marie Vinson. If ever a fellow felt like disowning a brother, it was me. All I heard from my friends was, "Sweyn's got a girl. Sweyn's got a girl." If Sweyn wanted to disgrace me and Tom, why couldn't he have kicked a dog, or beat up an old lady, or somethign not as bad as going with a girl."

Funny stuff.

9 comments:

Joanne said...

okay that was soooo funny. thanks for sharing, hee hee heee.

Kami said...

I love the items you chose to share Kayli. Your the bomb.

Katrina said...

The GI/BI thing is pretty darn funny.

And that is so crazy that you dated Thomas! He's a good guy. I'm sure my dear sister-in-law is glad things didn't work out with the two of you. ;-) What a small, small (Mormon) world we live in.

Maren said...

My friends and I were obsessed with Animaniacs in high school. I was even Dot for Halloween once!

Anonymous said...

Kayli, you skipped my alltime fav GI/BI so I will add it here for you.

GI: Getting served breakfast in bed.
BI: Getting served tennis balls in bed. HAHAHHAHAHAH. Hilarious. Miss that show.

The Haws Family said...

Kayli...do you realize I have been studying ALL DAY in the library, and I finished a ten-page paper, and I have HUGE test coming up and you haven't posted a new post to keep me entertained???? Plus, I took a break and you weren't even home to answer your phone! How am I supposed to study if my "break distractors" aren't in place, I ask you? Hmph.

Charlotte said...

I LOVE the animaniacs! One of my favorites is "Dot's Poetry Corner" example: "Ode to Jack/Jack be nimble/Jack be quick/Jack jumped over the candlestick/And burned his butt" Hilarious! And of course who can forget Pinky and the Brain! You had me on YouTube scouring the site for animaniacs clips! It made for a really funny afternoon. :)

Kirsta and Morian said...

hey Kayli! I like random funnies! Um, just to let you know, I changed the address of my blog. It is now morianandkirstablack.blogspot.com. Just so you know!

Aleesha Burke said...

You should read Hooligan: a Mormon boy. It isn't a "brain" book. Its a memoir about a kid who grew up in Provo from 1936-1946. I haven't read it but it is a book about my professor and we get to hear about it everyday but it sounds really entertaining.

Related Posts with Thumbnails