Thursday, May 14, 2009

a few unusual things

3 unusual things happened on Monday.

#1. The baby birds hatched. Oh, I guess actually that was on Sunday and Monday because the first two birds hatched on Sunday and the second two on Monday. We found out when Hazel opened the door really hard (I guess, I wasn't there) and a baby fell out onto our floor. I was in the bathroom and I heard Hazel say "Oooh, it's a baby!" and then Jethro said, "How are we going to get it back in?" and only then did my brain start to process what my ears had heard and I came out to see. Ooops... but Brett picked it up (with gloves on) and put it back in the nest and it is still alive.
If you look at the pictures closely you can see when there were just the two babies hatched and they're really tiny, and then three hatched, and the last egg has a little hole where the baby's beak is pecking, and then when it has hatched and looks extra naked compared to the other ones. Ugly little things, aren't they?

#2. Remember the story about the lady who asked me for a ride? well, she came back to my house to ask me for money. She gave me her sob story and I decided to give her some money. But it is weird that she remembered where I lived more than a year later. Hmm. I'm thinking it will be good if we move soon.

#3. I cleaned all day. I mean really cleaned. My house has not been so clean in I don't know how long. Yeah, a clean house is overrated. Just kidding, it is kind of nice to have some things clean that have been terribly yucky, like the blinds in the kitchen, which happen to be right by the high chair, so after years of kids with sticky hands grabbing them it was really time for a scrub-down. And Brett painted a wall in the kitchen and finally put grout in the tile that he added when he put in the new carpet, so it was a very productive week.

Other than household things I haven't done a whole lot. Brett's parents got here tonight and that is very very exciting for everyone.

Tonight I went to a meeting to learn about the Challenge program that Jethro could possibly be in if we were to be here next year. It sounds soooooo completely awesome and I think that will definitely keep me from being too depressed if we stick around. Things like chess lessons every week, TONS of reading, class plays, sewing a quilt, a classroom business, several foreign languages, many field trips, next grade level up in math-- sounds like Jethro would be totally loving it.

And here is a picture of the vase I bought at Goodwill for Kami to see. (Is it what you pictured when I described it to you?) When I was describing it I was having a hard time, and Brett said, "Tell her it's shaped like a woman." And then Kami said that Leo thinks sports cars are shaped like women and that's why guys like them so much. Hmmm. And here I thought it was because they went fast. ;)

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Great vase! What a nice find.

About that woman....don't be surprised if she comes back again for money...now that she knows where to get it. Scary. Here's hoping that she doesn't.

I think it's fantastic that you have allowed the birds to thrive right on your doorstep. What a cool project for the kids to follow along. Great photos!!!

Tracy said...

you just make me laugh.

Fun little baby birdies on your door!

have fun with the in-laws!

Shelley said...

You are too funny.

Jethro would sew a quilt at school?? Oh my. I couldn't even get my junior high students to do that in a SEWING class.

Related Posts with Thumbnails