Thursday, May 7, 2009

thursday 13

This is Hazel's I'm-fed-up-with-having-my-picture-taken-Mom! look.

So, want to hear what's been happening? Of course you do.

1. Jethro came home from school today and was doing the usual things to avoid doing homework when I noticed a good-sized goose egg on his forehead. So I asked him what happened and he told me that at recess he got ran into by a scooter-type thing (but he didn't know if it was on purpose or accidental) and he fell. Like I said, it was a pretty good bonk, and his chin also has a black-and-blue spot, and his elbow was scraped. So he was crying and a kid came up and called him a crybaby. And I said, "What did you do?" and he said, "I told him I could beat him up. And I growled at him." Hmmm. What should a mother say at such a time? And why can't kids be nice? And why does Jethro think he's a cheetah? (Growling is his usual response to anything annoying or embarrassing or the like.) (By the way, I told him that he shouldn't tell a kid you could beat him up, you should just ignore him and walk away.)

2. I may or may not have tried on a wedding dress when I was at Goodwill today. It could have been very beautiful and new-looking and it could have fit me perfectly. Which could have been fun. But then, not so fun when I may or may not have gotten stuck.

3. I have been trying very hard to not do any work this week so that I can do it ALL next week before my in-laws come for graduation. As you may guess, this has been very taxing for me. Ahem. But I have been making a list so that I make sure to do some deep-cleaning next week. Do you want to know what's on the list? In other words, do you want to know what I have not cleaned in the past two or three years? Okay.
high chair
kitchen chairs
cobwebs inside and outside of house
kitchen cupboards
stove
bathroom
dusting
Okay, maybe I've cleaned some of those things within the year. Maybe.

4. Today I got the itch to do some freezer paper stenciling on some t-shirts for Jethro. Perhaps I will. Should be fun.

5. I hate neighbors. We've been lucky in the past and haven't had any that were troublesome. But now there are some kids that come over ALL THE TIME and want to play with my kids. I don't know them or their parents or have any idea of what kind of things they've been taught or not taught. And frankly, I don't want my kids to play ALL THE TIME. Or at all, really. Mean, maybe, but true. (If my neighbors were people that I knew and liked I would feel different I think.)

6. Talmage is almost crawling. He's so close--he gets up on his hands and knees, then he lifts himself up on his arms and feet, like he's about to do a push-up, then he gets mad that he's exerting all that effort and not going anywhere. He's also getting close to pulling himself up to a stand on things.

7. He really is the most fun, loveable guy ever. I'm really excited for Brett's parents to come because I just know that Grandma will be utterly smitten. And as a mom, it's kinda fun to have someone be gaga over your baby.

8. Brett rented his cap and gown and bought some cheap announcements that I mailed out yesterday. It was so expensive. It came to $81. Holy hannah, that is ridiculous. But I can't tell you how excited I am for him to wear the traditional weird costume and all that good stuff. Soooo excited. However, it would be even more exciting if he were actually DONE once he walked. Oh well, the end is very very near. (The end of school, that is. The job hunt goes on.)

9. I have a hoodie that I bought at Goodwill recently that has the name ASHLEY across the back, and when I wear it Brett calls me Ashley, and I'm always surprised. :)

10. I have another sweater that I bought at a garage sale last year and it's from Abercrombie and Fitch and I only recently noticed that on the label on the inside it says 'This garment's perfection in every detail can only be surpassed by she who wears it." Ha ha!

11. Clarification: I started my anniversary post on the 5th and finished it on the 6th and it threw off the date. So my anniversary is on the 5th. (Which is why I wasn't at volleyball, although I did consider going, since our official "date" ended before 8, but I decided to be a good wifey.)

12. Another clarification: The FHE idea that Brett did came straight out of the FHE manual. Just so you know.

13. Geocaching is AWESOME! Go to geocaching.com and read up, but the gist of it is, you get the coordinates for a cache somewhere, put them into your GPS, drive to area, walk to the exact coordinates, and look around for the hidden "treasure." Then your kids can swap little cheap useless junk treasure for a different little cheap useless junk treasure. And treasure it they do--I assure you! It is the best. Love it love it.

4 comments:

Rachael said...

I was really amused by Jethro's growling. and speaking of graduation, Neil and I were so outraged by the cap & gown rental fees (his BS and my MA) that we cancelled our order and just used the money to go skiing instead.

Kristi said...

I love that you tried on a wedding dress, and maybe or not got stuck in it. haha. so funny. come live by us. we could have such fun. - and I so want to try freezer paper stenciling too- it is on my to do list.

Lynn said...

No. 4 - Please explain. I have no idea what that is.

No. 5 - I completely and TOTALLY get what you are saying here. Truly. Been there. Done that. ; )

No. 13 - Cool! My boys are just getting into this with their Venture Group. (Canadian Scouting)

The Holdaway's said...

We have some neighbors right now that can't seem to keep their kids in their yard. They are always in our fenced in backyard playing with our things. And if we are outside, they are at the fence asking to come over and play. And it isn't just the 3 girls, then there are 4 other neighbor kids that come too...grrrr. Thankfully it is a rental and those people are moving soon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails