Wednesday, January 9, 2008

philisophical question for the day

So, obviously there are different ways of doing things, but my question is, can they be equal, or is one way always actually better than the other ways? Take for a simple example, going to school. People do it in many different ways. Even the people that are devoted to graduating, doing well, etc. One person may study to absorb, understand, and liken as much of the information as he can, in other words, do his best. Another person may study to get the grade, remember for the test, or do what needs to be done to get by. A person can do very well by this method--I know because I did it. I have lots of "school" skills--I could always study the night before and do really really well on a test. And I always knew just how much effort I had to put into something to get an A. (This reminds me of how we'd show my dad a report card and he'd look at the 97% or whatever, and he'd ask what percent we needed for the A, and we'd say 94%, and he'd say, Why did you bother with the other 3%? Now this was in jest, but it's the kind of thing I totally get.)
So you'd think that it's the person who really did their best that is the 'better' way, right? But what if the get-by person actually gets better grades than the person who did their best? Is it still the better way?
But anyway, it's not really school that I care about, or was thinking about when I started on this thread.
So I do know that everyone is different and comes from a different place. So different ways of doing things should be equally valid, maybe. Except mainly everyone is trying to become better--trying to reach perfection, if you will. So perfection is a point say up high, and everyone starts funneling toward it, and as they go higher into the funnel they get more and more alike. So, then maybe some ways are better--they are the higher, more perfect ways. Then again, if everyone is different, maybe there are different ways of being perfect. Except I don't really buy that exactly.
Take me for example, I'm sitting here writing random, non-understandable junk when I should be mopping my kitchen floor. My mother would NEVER be on the computer wasting time when there was a floor to mop. In fact, my mother would have mopped the floor six hours ago if this were her house. To tell the whole truth, she probably would have mopped the kitchen floor about four times between now and the last time I mopped it. But then, maybe she actually mops too much--I mean, there has to be a point where there's actually too much mopping, at the expense of other things. Perhaps I'm not so far wrong to spend my time in other good pursuits. Or perhaps both ways are just as good. So, maybe I am just rambling all this because I'm trying to figure out if I can excuse my unmopped floor by arguing that there are separate but equal ways of doing things.

Another question of a non-philisophical nature. Why do all of the pants of all of your kids get holes in the knees at the SAME time??

7 comments:

Lynn said...

LOL!
I TOTALLY get what you are saying! Just had to say that. Not that I had any smart insights to share.

Kerry said...

Very deep Kayli. Anyway...I think it is all relative. each person has different talents and interests. Do you really think we could all become perfect kintters, scrapbookers, housekeepers, etc? I think not. I know I will probably never knit anything. I know my scrapbooking skills are very minimal, and I don't have the cleanest house either. Then you have to look at other things such as...are you happy? Are your kids/family happy and well-cared for? In the end, how much of a difference does it really make if you mop your floor every day, or once a week? My sister is cleaning obsessed, and cleans things constantly. Granted, her home is very clean, and I like being in it. I clean only when necessary, and still I think my home feels nice to be in. There are things I think she misses out on because she cleans too much. She is always exhausted at the end of the day, and sometimes seems grumpy because of it. I might be grumpy because my house is a mess, but at least I make the time to enjoy the finer things in life such as blogging, reading a good book,or whatever strikes my fancy. Maybe, I should actually be a bit more like my sister and maybe she should be a bit more like me, and then we might reach perfection! Ha ha! Totally kidding. Who really knows? Imagine if we were all doing the exact same things in life the exact sae way...then we would not be having interesting blog posts such as this. I have rambled enough. So long.

Kerry said...

Ok, here's my latest method for mopping my floor. I let Avery do it. I just plop a little bit of water on the floor, and then let her go. She must do a fairly decent job since it looks like she's absorbed quite a bit when I pick her up! So, would you say this method is better than others? Ha ha!Or not?

Amy said...

You're awesome! I liked this post and it got me thinking... which is always a nice distraction from MY unmopped floor :) I think if the end goal is the same (for example, to get A's) then any way you get there it's equal. But if your goal is more ambiguous, for example a goal to "learn", and one person uses the "absorb, retain, understand" method and another person gets an A but can't remember a thing... then it's all about perspective and your opinion of what it means to "learn" I guess. ha... I don't ramble as well as you do :)

Kami said...

Hmmm... I think that what you think is what I think.

joanna said...

If there was only one way to perfection, then we would all be born in the same circumstances. Everyone would get married at the same age, have the same opportunities for education, have the same upbringings, etc. I think we're all just required to do the best with what we've been given, and the Lord provides a way for everyone to become perfect, in the eternal sense; He makes up for the rest after all we can do. That's also a reason we shouldn't judge others' circumstances. Only the Lord knows what people have to go through to reach their goals.

Just thought I'd put in my two cents. You don't even know me. I found your blog through Melissa Kay Tate!

Rachael said...

Here's my problem: why the heck would I want to mop my floor when there's a good book on my nightstand that I haven't read yet? Or why would I bother doing the lunch dishes when I can read a fascinating letter-novelette that someone talented emailed me?

so yeah...it's totally your fault that my dishes are undone. my procrastination had nothing to do with it. no way!

Related Posts with Thumbnails