Monday, October 4, 2010

A little slice of this country we call home.

On Saturday we decided to not let the glorious sunshiny day pass us by, so we drove through this beauteous land we call home and went on a little hike/walk.  Brett was disturbed by the lateness of our going, but it all worked out because Talmage had his nap in the car on the way.

This picture was taken as Brett threw away a bag containing Hazel’s puke into a trash receptacle.  Even though we handed her the bag in plenty of time, she still missed and some ended up in the van.  The girl certainly gets car sick a lot.  But it’s hard to blame her on the windy mountain roads.  It’s kindof easy to blame her for missing the bag though.  IMGP0796I think the new camera did herself proud on this trip.  I always <used to> get soo soo frustrated trying to take pictures from the window of a moving vehicle because they always end up terrible—but not so much this time.  Looks pretty, doesn’t it?IMGP0797 IMGP0826-1 IMGP0806-1Brett started getting worried that we were going to run out of fuel on the way up this pass, but we didn’t, and he claimed he likes to keep things exciting.IMGP0833 IMGP0834 Here we are at the beginning of our hike/walk.  (I have to say hike SLASH walk because we were on a paved road the whole time, which was easier than a hike and actually quite nice.)  IMGP0841 That little white and red symbol means this is the trail.  Every time we pass one, one or more of my children yell “We’re on the right trail!”IMGP0846 We had a grand time walking along and throwing snowballs EVERY FIVE SECONDS.  (Except me, because I don’t like getting cold.)IMGP0847 Brett was to blame for a lot of the snowball throwing.  Notice what he’s holding in his hands (and mouth)?  It’s gummi bears.  We find them to be indispensible when hiking(/walking) with children.  “I’m tired!”  “Here—have some more gummi power!”IMGP0852 It was lovely.  Beautiful.  Perfect weather—the sun was very warm and it was so enjoyable.IMGP0854 I saw a very sheer rock face and I told Hazel to see if she could climb it.  IMGP0858 IMGP0859 Then we cheered her on cause she’s an awesome climber.  IMGP0860 Then we made her jump off it.  (Yes, since you point it out- we DO make our children climb things and jump from them for our entertainment very frequently.  Want to make something of it?)IMGP0866 Then Jethro had to do it too.IMGP0867 He needs a haircut.  But he’s cute.IMGP0868 Ethne was there too.IMGP0880 Running up the side of the mountain.IMGP0888 IMGP0890 I’ll give you a nickel if you can spot Jethro.  (Just kidding because I have no nickels.  They don’t use nickels here.  They have a five rappen coin, but it’s not called a nickel.  I’m not sure it’s called anything.)IMGP0895Talmage is so cute.  If you look closely at his nose you’ll notice that it’s rather banged up.  It’s not because we made him climb something and jump from it.  It’s because first he got a bug bite right on the end of his nose, and then shortly thereafter fell while running on the pavement on got a scraped bloody nose.  But he’s still cute.IMGP0908 Laaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh (can you hear the heavenly hosts singing?)!IMGP0913 I was there too!!!IMGP0915 Yes I was.IMGP0917 Perty.IMGP0930 I love this kid.  SOOOOOOOOOOO much.IMGP0942 Perty perty.IMGP0951 Ethne was very cold on the way home because her sweater and  pant legs were so soaked from walking through and picking up a ton of snow.  (We warned her this would be the case about five hundred times.)  Also we ran out of gummi power.IMGP0957 But we made it in quite good form actually.  IMGP0963  Home again, home again, jiggedy jig.

8 comments:

beSlightlyAskew said...

gummy bears and hiking...perfect! I'm getting some next time we go to mt. charleston. what camera did you get? I want to copy several of your pictures for my house (when I get a house) because they are so beautiful.

Andrea said...

Sometimes I'm a little jealous of you being in Switzerland. Seeing all those glorious mountains and SNOW sort of did the trick.

Eli keeps pointing to Ethne and saying "Miriam" which sounds like "mmirmm." I tried to convince him he was wrong but he wouldn't listen to me. Kids these days.

Lynn said...

*sigh*

You live such a grand life there in Switzerland Kayli!! So envious.

Tiffany Alldredge Smith said...

It is SOOOOOO beautiful there!! You know you and your family are the inspiration that got us to start going out hiking again! I love to read about your adventures - and now I can't wait until Saturday so that we can go out and do some hiking of our own!!

Kami said...

That was lovely.

Kristi said...

I am going right now to look up flights for my whole fam. can we crash on your floor?

Megan said...

incredible views - and i loved your story telling. good times!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, beautiful. Fun times hiking. You should write and do the pics for a book! Love you. MOm

Related Posts with Thumbnails