Monday, August 17, 2009

things can always get crazier

So, as crazy as things were before--they are still crazier yet.

Going back to Indiana felt sooooo weird, knowing that we were leaving. We did a whole lot of cleaning, packing, and fixing up the house. In fact, that's all we did. Well, we did get to visit with a few people and have dinner a couple nights with some of our good friends. At first I was very full of energy, but by the sixth and seventh day I was really ready to be done. And Brett had so much to do, otherwise we would have been out of there sooooo much sooner. He had to
do all the drywall and painting and windowsills for the windows since we never did that after he replaced them. And cleaning out the garage and whatnot. That place was filthy. I am not kidding it was disgustingly, outrageously, grossly filthy. But he sold his biodiesel stuff so that was good. And we had so much help from people--so many people took Talmage for me. Pretty much every day so I could get things done.

Brett's cousin Ben and his wife got there the night before we left. They are really nice and I am happy knowing our house will have such a good family in it. Here we are all in front of the house the morning we took off. (They have two kids too, but they were asleep.)
Goodbye house--you've been a good home.
We stayed in Omaha one night at their empty house during our trip. It was funny to swap places.

The drive went quite well, except for perhaps the most harrowing experience of my life --a stretch of freeway right outside of Omaha where we were driving in torrential rain in the pitch black and every second I felt very very close to out-of-control. I don't know how long we drove like this, but I finally called Brett on the walkie-talkie (he was driving the truck pulling the big trailer, and I was driving the car pulling the small trailer with the motorcycle on it) and said we really needed to stop because I couldn't SEE anything. (Have I mentioned I really don't like driving on the freeway very much, especially places I'm unfamiliar with, nor do I like driving at night when I can't see very well, and also I've never pulled a trailer before this trip?) Anyway, he said, "Well as soon as I find a place." And pretty soon after that, all the traffic came to a complete stop, we assume because someone had an accident. We did not move at all for the next hour and a half or two hours. Brett was like, "You got your wish." And it was
kinda nice because I took a little nap in the car and when we started driving again the sun was coming up and it stopped raining.

Here are some pictures from mid-America.



But we made it. Jethro and Talmage were really good, and we had no mechanical difficulties (on the way back--on the way there we got a flat tire and spent a couple hours in a Wal-Mart in ummm--Nebraska I think.)

Okay, now for the part I was talking about how things are crazier now than ever. When we were in Omaha we checked the messages on our phone and found a message from a guy in the Utah State Biofuel program and he wants to talk to Brett. Now, I think there is little to nothing Brett would like a career in more than Biofuel. Also, Logan has been our dream place to live ever since, well, we lived there. So that aroused much excitement, though we haven't been able to talk to the guy yet.

FURTHERMORE, the guy from the job in Switzerland called and said the other guy they were going to hire bailed and do we want the job there.

WHAT THE HECK. WHAT. THE. HECK.

12 comments:

dana said...

go to Switzerland!!! How adventurous!!!

shelleyjanae said...

When it rains it pours.
Good luck with the decision. Switzerland would be exciting. Kristi and I will just have to come visit! :)

shelleyjanae said...

I don't know why it says "lookatme" as my name. That is weird.

This is Shelley- fyi.

Lynn said...

Holy!!! Decisions decisions!

I must say.....scary ride too! Thank goodness you had the chance to stop for awhile.

Ginger said...

That's how it worked for us too. As soon as one person wants you for a job, then everybody does. I hate that part, since it's soooo hard to get the first offer.

But wouldn't you rather have choices, then no choices at all? Loren always said if nothing works out, then he'll just be a garbage man or a bus driver-he has experience in both so they'd for sure take him.

Tracy said...

WOW! Now what are you going to do? I'm going to be waiting for your answer.

The Holdaway's said...

I say Switzerland all the way. I've been to both Utah and Switzerland and the Alps are way nicer :) Best of wishes in making this choice. We miss you...

Heather S. said...

Wow, you've got some big decisions to make. Of course I'm all for you moving to Logan, but this is your choice and I'm wishing you the best no matter what decision you make. Good luck!

Steve and Katrina said...

WOW WOW WOW!! I can't believe it! I think living in a different country would be so cool but also hard and scary. I bet it was really hard to say goodbye to your house and most especially Indiana.

Good luck deciding. I'm glad you made it safely through the rain. Keep us updated!!

Rachael said...

so the very worst storm I've ever been in was in nebraska. there were hailstones the size of small tomatoes, and our car was totally dented afterwards. I quite honestly thought we would either a) slide off the road or b) get smashed by another car. stupid nebraska.

Congratulations on having choices!! No matter where you end up, isn't it nice to have options?

Christina said...

wow, talk about crazy! I am so glad things are working out for you guys!

Kris said...

Wow - you guys are gone! Crazy. I'll miss you. I really HATE making big decisions like that!!!! Good luck and may the force be with you! :) BTW, I met Brett's cousin and saw his wife last night at a Krannert Grad picnic. He seems very nice. That's so funny about your house swapping. Are they trying to sell their house? I also HATE driving on the freeway in an unfamiliar place with torrential rain in the dark!!!! Scary! Glad you guys made it OK!

Related Posts with Thumbnails