Wednesday, January 30, 2013


On Tuesday (the 15th) I had this sweet baby.

IMGP1376 IMGP1381

I started having some mild contractions in the afternoon, and was just waiting to see what they would do.  By around 6:00 I texted Brett that I was having contractions, because by then I was quite sure they were leading somewhere.  He came home and we quickly ate and then he went to Jethro’s parent-teacher conference and I called our neighbor Kathi who came over to watch the kids.  The conference ran a bit late, and when Brett came home we said prayers with the kids and put them all to bed (they did not know that we were heading to the hospital).

(Me and Ethne with our bellies. Ethne’s probably would have looked a bit more realistic with a pillow rather than a doll, but oh well.)

IMGP1338 IMGP1347

When we got to the hospital I was at a 4 and I asked for an epidural.  I was all for a pain-free game this time.  They came and gave me one.  Unfortunately, it didn’t really work.  It made my left leg go completely dead, but I still felt contractions.  They were still painful, but more mild, so I figured it was all right.  Later the midwife checked me again, and I was still at about a 4, so she asked me if I wanted her to break my water, and I said to go for it.  After that, Baby started moving down super fast and the contractions got really really super painful and I started cursing the anesthesiologist.  Not really, but it was pretty lame to have the expectation of a pain-free time and then not have it.  Obviously.  I told Brett I wished my sister Megan could give me an epidural, cause she’s super-skilled and amazing, and Brett said, “Well, when you go to Utah this summer, just have her give you one.”  Ha ha- sounds like a party.  Anyway, in just a little while, he was born, and I think the epidural did help at least a little because it wasn’t quite as torturous as usual when he came out.  And I saw him and thought he was the cutest baby in the world!

I got to hold him and I just loved him to pieces immediately.  And then my doctor opened the door and came in, as the midwife was cleaning everything up.  :)  He was born at 11:51 pm.

Wyatt wasn’t breathing super well, so after a while, maybe half an hour, they took him to the NICU where they could monitor him and give him some oxygen.

When Brett came back after a while, they helped me into a wheelchair to go to the other room.  It is really really weird to have a completely numb leg.  I guess I figured I could just sort of hop a bit on it, like when you have a sore ankle or something, but then I just schlooop- down.  Good thing I was hanging on to Brett and he was holding me up. 

IMGP1387 IMGP1374

So.  In the following days, they kept Wyatt in the NICU for monitoring and whatnot.  I was feeling really good, actually.  But poor Brett had quite the stressful week.  The next day, Wednesday, stayed home from work with the kids, and tried to work on his speech for that night.  Remember a while ago I said that Brett had really good news from work and that I had to wait until next month to tell about it?  Well, he had entered a competition for a beginning business.  He worked really hard writing it in German and memorizing it, and he ended up winning first prize, which was 30,000 francs for his project.  So that Wednesday was the awards banquet.  He said he hadn’t really gone over his speech much at all, so right before he gave it he got pretty nervous, but when he introduced himself he said his name and that he was from Utah and that the night before his sixth child was born, and he had a picture of Wyatt on the power point, and he said that everyone started applauding.  :)  Anyway, he was famous for a while and the university newspaper called and wanted to interview him, and he and the project got a blurb in the paper.

And then the next day, and Friday and Saturday he had an Entrepreneurial class  all day long, which he couldn’t miss.  Ordinarily he could have taken work off fairly easily, but not the class of course, so he had to scramble to get babysitters and so on.  In the end the class was cancelled on Saturday, which was very nice.  He came and got me from the hospital that morning, and then he went on the train and picked up our new van that we had bought the Saturday before, but was getting the AC fixed. 

So now I am pumping at home, and going to the hospital when I can to feed Wyatt.  He has done pretty well, but some days he didn’t eat as well as others, but I think (hope) he is on the upswing. 

IMGP1396 IMGP1399IMGP1398IMGP1404IMGP1406

The following are lousy phone pictures, but it’s the only picture I have so far of all SIX kids.

IMG_20130120_131113 IMG_20130120_131131 IMG_20130120_131315

He is absolutely adorable and wonderful and I can’t wait to bring him home.  Oh and the name Wyatt Blake is the name I wanted for a long time that Brett said he wouldn’t let me have.  The kids and I had called him Baby Wyatt for a long time, and I thought Brett might come around, but then he said definitely no, so I did try to start thinking of more names, and I had another option- Oakes- but Brett didn’t like that either.  So a day or so after Wyatt was born, and we still hadn’t told the hospital an official name for him, Brett came to visit with all the kids, and he was feeling stressed because he doesn’t like being at the hospital with all the kids, and he’s like, “So what are we going to name this kid?” and I said, “Well, you know what I want.”  And he said, “What about Jonathan?” which I don’t think he even really likes or cares about, but he just wanted to throw something out.  I was like- Dude, you don’t even care about that name at all.  So he just said, “Fine, name him whatever you want.  As long as it’s not Oakes.”  So I said, “Okay, then it’s Wyatt Blake.”  And I said, “Well, unless you want to choose the middle name, since I chose the first name.”   And he said, “Bär" which is bear in German, and I said, “no.”  So then he was just like, whatever.  :)  So I promptly took my passport down to the room and signed the document to name him and she mailed it in.


Okay, I’m back again to update.  We’ve had an awful awful week because everyone got sick.  The flu went through just about all of us—Brett and Jethro have yet to get better.  We’ve had pretty much all symptoms—headaches, runny noses, coughing, sore throats, achiness,  chills and fevers, just general yuckiness and wishing I could fast forward time.  But luckily, I guess, Wyatt was/is still in the hospital, so he’s not in the midst of it all. 

He had some jaundice and had to go under the lights for a day, and then he wasn’t drinking as much as they wanted him to, so they gave him a feeding tube.  It was quite sad to see him actually, as he had lost some weight, and the chubby chipmunk cheeks he had when he was born were completely gone.

IMGP1419 IMGP1422  IMGP1442 IMGP1443 IMGP1449 IMGP1452

The feeding tube was only in for a little while, and now he’s doing well, and the last I heard from the nurse today was that if he keeps looking good then he might come home this weekend.

And that is the story.


Kami said...

Oh, he's so cute!! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! <3

Rachael said...

He is so gorgeous! Fingers crossed that he's home with you in just a couple of days.

So random question--is it pretty standard there to let babies sleep on their tummies? My babies have ALL been stomach sleepers, but you know how US pediatricians are all like "back to sleep." Just wondering if that was the status quo in Switzerland since when you were writing about your delivery with Orrin it sounded WAY more progressive than in the US! (More reason to move there!)

Rachael said...

Oh--and I've had 4 epidurals and only one of them worked. So dumb.

The Haws Family said...

Cute pictures and thanks for the updates! Hopefully everything is a go for this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Good to see your blog --- means everything is getting back to normal!!! Hope Swiss Wyatt gets home soon !
Love ya

Andrea said...

He's beautiful, Kate. I'm glad you're feeling a little better. Love you guys.

Lynn said...

Congratulations on baby Wyatt!!

Gosh, I hope you all feel MUCH better soon.

What a GREAT weekend you all will have. I'm excited for him to come home.......for ya'! ; )

P.S. Everything you wrote about Wyatt is the exact same stuff we had to go through with our 6th one. This sure brought back memories. My heart did a little flip flop for you. Hang in there!

Missy said...

Yaaaay! Congratulations :) I feel your pain (literally) with the non-functioning epidural, I left the delivery room feeling like I had paid for a ship but only got a raft. I like to think the pain made me push harder and faster... Right? Love the name Wyatt, so western.

Maren said...

Congratulations, Kayli! I had the same thing happen with my first epidural with Josh, but I made the anesthesiologist come back in and fix it. Totally worth it. :)

I hope little Wyatt gets to come home soon!

Carlie said...

Congrats Kayli! He is beautiful. I hope you all start feeling better and that Little Wyatt make lots of progress and can come home soon!

Christal said...

CONGRATS AGAIN! Didn't know he was still in the hospital:( hope he's home soon or now:) Sorry you guys got so sick too its everywhere isn't it!! You have such a beautiful family!! Beautiful kids and congrats to Brett to on his winning and award wow! Thats awesome!! Hope all is good!

Sarah Harrington said...

Congratulations again on a BEAUTIFUL baby boy! I really hope Wyatt gets to come home this weekend.
We went through the same thing when Owen was born. We were just plumb out of boy names (4 boys will do that, huh?). He was Baby Boy until about an hour before we left the hospital. It was so weird and annoying. Didn't Brett let you name one of the other kids in a similar way? It seems like he just said "after all that you just went through you can name the baby whatever you want." Did that happen or am I just making it up?? Anyway, I'm hoping your little guy comes home soon and that you're feeling well!

emily ballard said...

Congratulations! I like the name Wyatt and think it fits perfectly!

Blake is way better than Oakes.

And that's awesome that Brett is famous because of your kids :)

emily ballard said...

P.S. So I just tried to tell Steve the story of Brett getting an applause at the awards banquet. I asked, "Want to hear something funny? The Bells. . . the ones we are going to go visit in Switzerland. . . they just had their sixth baby." And then I must have paused too long because he said, "There's NOTHING funny about that."

Haha. Props to you for number six. Most days we don't feel like we can handle four.

And yes. . . I just keep slipping in little comments about our trip to Switzerland. So then it will happen :)

Kris said...

Kayli, you are amazing! I am freaking out with two, and you have six and you seam to do such a great job at it.
Congratulations! Wyatt is so handsome, and I have always loved the name Wyatt.

Christine Merrill said...

Wow, that really mirrors our story...a lot. Even down to fighting about the name. But Marriner didn't get his name I didn't like, we managed to find another name we both liked (Sam!) Can't wait until you get him home. It's somehow not real when the baby's in the hospital. And little babies don't even hurt much coming out, so it's not like you need all the time to recover -except you did, cuz of the flu. Ugh. Well, anyway, here's to our "February babies", eh! Congrats!

Ginger said...

Ya-hoo! I'm so proud of you guys. Nice work! All 6 of them are absolutly amazing.

Andrea said...

I'm exhausted just reading all of this! Bless you Kayli! Remember you were worried I had to bring a newborn home to a rental house full of boxes? That wasn't fun...and not fun that my body is still recovering from that baby 18 mo. later...but girl, this is a wild story and I'm just so grateful Wyatt is doing ok. Hope he's home in your arms soon. (And I read parts of this to Tyler and we both say "Wahoo Brett! So awesome!:

Steve and Katrina said...

I guess I already said congrats but I should comment here too:) Love seeing all the pictures of Wyatt but it is sad seeing him hooked up with tubs. It made me remember when Beckett was in the PICU at 3 weeks old. Hope he came home this week and you are enjoying him. I think the hardest part would be the pumping. Hopefully that hasn't messed up nursing. I remember setting an alarm to wake up and pump in the night when Beckett was at the hospital because I was so full and wanted my milk to stay regular. Now that I look back it was probably unnecessary but the nurses had told me to. Oh well.

Can't wait to see more pictures because I know you've probably taken some awesome ones! Hope everyone is doing well now and awesome job to Brett winning!

Related Posts with Thumbnails