Sunday, January 3, 2010

We have arrived!

I am writing this post nestled inside the country of Switzerland. Amazing. I still cant reallz believe it.


And first off, the German keyboard is different from the American, so from now on all the y and zs will be mixed up, and there probablz wonät be anz apostraphes. Okaz.

So, Swityerland is beautiful. (ä=apostophe, I donät know where it is). I mean, absolutelz breathtakinglz gorgeous. Absolutelz everzthing looks like a postcard. The houses are all so cute and quaint'looking. And everyone we have met has been soooooo nice to us. We are staying with a family in our ward. They have been so kind, and everyone weve met have been the same - eager to help us with anything we need.

Traveling is hard, at least it is with kids. Mainly because zour sleep schedule is so messed up. On Christmas Eve Hazel and Ethne were both throwing up all night, in fact at one point had to share the same bucket for a minute. I kindof wanted to take a picture and label it 'true sisterly sharing'. And all I could do was to pray and pray that Talmage and I would get it the next day, and not on the plane. That would be horrible. And the next night, in Vernal, Brett and Jethro were throwing up all night. All I could do was pray and pray that Talmage and I would get it the next day and not on the plane. That would be horrible. The next day Brettäs wonderful brother Blake drove us to Salt Lake so he could drop us off at the airport, and he threw up on the way. But a miracle was granted and we somehow managed to avoid it altogether.

The flights were okay. Talmage screamed for a major portion of the trip to Chicago. Then in Chicago (to Washington D.C.) we got to the terminal a tad late, and they had alreadz given half our seats awaz, but thez fitted us in and I got to sit in the first class which was prettz sweet. Then we had our flight over the ocean to Zurich. It was long, but Talmage screamed less and did sleep finallz.

When we got to Zurich we were supposed to have a van that we rented, but somehow it had not actuallz been rented. So we were stuck in the airport for a little while trzing to figure that out and we were all verz tired. Luckilz, our hotel had a shuttle that we took. And let me just saz that that daz does not bear remembering. Jet lag is the worst form of torture ever invented, at least it is when coupled with a screaming baby boy who will NOT sleep! (And I had to search the kezboard for that exclamation point for a long time just to show how much I mean it.) Okay, mazbe Iäm exaggerating a tad, but it was certainlz not pleasant.

Anyhow somehow we got through it and then some WONDERFUL ward members came with their cars adn picked us up. Then we crashed at the house weäre at now, the Burris. But before we had contacted them, thez had alreadz made plans for guests to come for New Years Eve, so we had to find other lodgings the next night. Brettäs boss graciouslz invited us, and we had a wonderful Arabic dinner with them, and went out to shoot off firecrackers and listened to the bells ringing and watched the firecrackers in all the little villages around them (thez live on the side of a mountain). It was very nice. Ringing in our New Year in Switzerland.

Then we came back to the Burris, where we have slept, gone sledding, slept some more, ate several delicious traditional Swiss meals, visited and had a very nice time.

Todaz was our first daz of church, and it is verz small. There are hardlz anz children, so everyone was very excited to see ours. Everyone was, again, very very very kind and we have had more offers of help with anzthing we might need than we can count. Almost everzone speaks English, but they had people translating for me in all of the meetings, which makes it so I pay better attention. smile.

And tomorrow we are renting a van so we can go do all our errands, and move into our apartment. And now I had better go because my kids are being nuisances for my hosts. I will write more later and when my mom mails me my camera cord which I forgot, will even post pictures.

Tschuss!!!!!!

13 comments:

Andrea said...

Glad you made it. Can't wait for pictures. Love you guys.

Christy said...

I'm glad to hear you made the long trip all in one piece. Hope you enjoy this new adventure. I look forward to hearing all about it.

Andrea said...

We're glad you made it! I've had that experience in a foreign country...expecting transportation that wasn't there when we arrived! Just come to expect those little surprises. :) I'm so glad you took time to post. We will love to see the pics.

Rachael said...

oh yay!! I keep checking to find out if you're there yet. So glad you're all there safely. And I can commiserate--I remember arriving in Brussels with my young sisters and my parents wouldn't let us sleep so that we could adjust to the time change. Worst. Day. Ever. I hope you guys all get on Swiss time soon!!!

And I am looking forward to LOTS of pictures and really awesome posts about your very exciting life in Switzerland. I fully expect to be made very jealous, so don't disappoint me!!!

Ginger said...

I love that all the y's and z's are switched! Except as I'm reading your post, I'm hearing it in a french accent. Weird.

I hope that your kids are eating okay-I'm only saying that because my kids hardly ever eat their dinner and if we went to a different country I bet they'd starve to death rather then eat.

Oh, and I was going to tell you thank you for the comment on my pictures. Loren bought me a new camera for my birthday in July-a point and shoot Canon Powershot SD 880 IS. I've just been playing around with the settings instead of putting it on Auto. Funny that you noticed a difference. I wish you were here to take pictures of me and my family!

Kristi said...

so exciting! I can't wait for pictures. I am so glad you get to do this- I will live vicariously through you for a while- this is something I think I would like to do, but I am not sure!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lynn said...

LOL! I'm with Ginger.....I had fun reading this in a French accent. : D

I am SO happy to hear from you guys and know that you made it safe and sound. What an adventure for sure! Poor Talmage. Sounds like his ears must of been popping on that whole plane ride. That's what I've heard anyway about screaming babies on planes....that their ears are popping and it hurts. I've never been on a plane so what do I know. ; D

Anyway........I am also So pleased to hear how your ward family is being SO kind and generous. That just makes me want to even more when new comers come to our ward.

Hope to see pics soon!!!

Amy said...

What an adventure!! I'm glad you've made it safely. Can't wait to hear more and see pictures of your new home!!!

Kris said...

Glad you made it OK! Sounds like quite the experience! ha! I bet it is such a beautiful place! Can't wait to see pictures! Thank goodness for the church, huh?!

Megan said...

Glad you are there - good luck getting settled. Love you.

Kelli said...

Kayli,
I'm glad you guys made it--I can only imagine international travel with kids! We've had so many 'fun adventures' traveling domestically with ours :) What an opportunity for your family! I'm excited for you!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts with Thumbnails