Thursday, January 28, 2010

Cheese and Chocolate


So, though I still have hopes that there will be many more food adventures to come, I may as well tell you about what we’ve experienced so far. First, the lacks. Switzerland does lack several things available in the good ol’ US of A. Allow me to list the ones I remember at present.
1. Baking powder
2. Corn syrup
3. Cream of mushroom/chicken soup
4. vanilla extract
5. jello
6. brown sugar
7. cheddar cheese
8. frozen juice concentrate
9. chocolate/butterscotch chips

So, I’m saddened that I can’t make chocolate chip cookies (no chocolate chips or brown sugar), scotcheroos (my favorite treat ever—no corn syrup, choc/butterscotch chips, although I did see rice krispies in a store the other day), orange julius, many casseroles and things that involve cream soups, etc. Luckily I knew about the baking powder issue and brought a package, but I should have brought more. Supposedly you can find some of these things if you go to certain stores, such as Globus in Bern, but they’re not exactly readily available. I was going to make my own brown sugar with some molasses, but haven’t found that yet either.

Anyway, moving on to the Haves. Switzerland has many delicious things I never had before.

1. Chocolate. Swiss chocolate. Mmmm. Sometime I will take a picture of the chocolate aisle in the grocery store. It is huge. It will make you drool.

2. Cheese. Many many many kinds of cheeses. Here we are eating many kinds of cheeses with our friends.

3. Raclette. Raclette is a cheese (a very delicious cheese), but it belongs in its own category because it is also a meal. You get a raclette cooker-thingee and you heat it up. You each have little pan-thingees and you put your slice of raclette on it until it gets nice and melty and bubbly. Then you take your pan and scrape the cheese off with your little wooden scraper onto your potatoes. You can add mushrooms or onions to your melting raclette for extra deliciousness. Wyatt, please come visit. I don’t want you to die of envy of this cheesy goodness. Look closely and you can see the raclette grill thingee.

4. Biercher Muessli. A traditional Swiss meal for breakfast or light supper, introduced to us by the Burris. It’s just Swiss granola in yogurt, which isn’t novel, but you see, the yogurt here is fantastic. It’s not like American yogurt at all, which I don’t even like. It’s super creamy and thicker and tastier. Also, they have this stuff called quark which is like yogurt but different. I’m not such a fan. We’ve become fans of biercher muessli and all the kids love it.5. Horse meat. Yes. Available at your local butcher.

6. Rivella. It’s a carbonated drink. Brett likes it. I don’t.

7. Some icecream stuff that is DIVINE that I’m not even sure of the name of yet. So, when we were at Brett’s boss’ house for New Year’s Eve (called Sylvester here), his wife offered me some icecream. It was plain vanilla, so I secretly wasn’t that interested. You see, I love icecream, but I love it when it’s a good flavor –not plain vanilla—mixed with milk, or with some yummy chocolate sauce on it. Not plain vanilla. BUT I decided to take some to be polite. And OH. MY. GOOOOODNESS it was the most delicious stuff I’ve ever tasted in my life. I can’t even explain it except it was more custardy than icecream we’re used to. I believe she said she bought it from a dairy store, but I’ve got to get Brett to ask her what it’s called so I can get some more.

8. Sausage. YUM. Me likey sausage. And the hot dogs are better here. Potatoes and sausage. Sausage and potatoes. Yum yum yum.

9. Nutella. I’m addicted. Basically it’s the bottom food group of the food guide pyramid for me. Now, I realize that Nutella is available in the States, and I loved it before. But I never really bought it because although I liked eating it plain by the spoonful, I didn’t think it went well with bread. But here, with crusty crusty, chewy chewy European bread, oh my. That is breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert for me. We’ve been here 4 weeks and are almost through our 5th big jar of the stuff. Brett says I have to cut back, but I say, why?It’ s very very good on banana bread too. When I first put some on banana bread, Brett said, “That’s an abomination!” But then he tried it and liked it. (I think he was just exasperated with further consumption of Nutella, not the idea of it on the banana bread.) And the missionaries came and they had 3 pieces and liked it too.

Talmage likes it too.

15 comments:

Megan said...

Loved the pics - Talmage is adorable. Love hearing all the adventures - keep them coming. they also don't have marshmellows - at least not in Germany but I found some one time at a Walmart that opened briefly in Germany - then closed - and so I took rice krispy treats to the ward party and they were the BIGGEST hit. Seriously. No one had ever had them before. It sounds wonderful adn I would love to come visit!

Amanda said...

Ok, now I'm hungry. Good thing I set absolutley no resolutions about weight loss. Now, where did I put my jar of Nutella???

Sarah Harward said...

What in the world would you cook without those basic ingredients? No wonder you're living on yummy bread and Nutella! I think we're out of Nutella by the way, and I just might have to run to the store and get some more!

Lynn said...

Oh yes......my brother and his wife moved to Europe 7 years ago. I always found it funny that they could go to any grocery store and see an entire ISLE of nothing but chocolate (oh my heavens when they bring us European chocolate to eat......I can't stand the regular American stuff for a month afterwards) but how strange that my brother and his wife cannot find a single chocolate chip in the entire kingdom of chocolate! So they TAKES loads of it back on the plane with them every time. LOL!

And oh wow....the cheese......I can only imagine. Heather D. White introduced us to the Raclette meal awhile back. I would have it for every single meal if I could. I bet cheese is as cheap as water is over there, right?? You are SO lucky!!!!!

My tummy is totally growling now. Thanks a lot. ha ha. ; S

Tracy said...

Almost all of the things they have sound divine.

How on earth do they bake without baking soda?!

I love the way your family all looks in that picture at the table.

Rachael said...

I do love Nutella. Love, love, love Nutella.

Also, I am hungry after reading your post.

And Talmage might just be the cutest little chocolate-face I've ever seen. That kid is truly just too darling for words.

Rachael said...

PS--once when I was in Luxembourg, I ate an entire baguette and half a jar of Nutella by myself in less than half an hour. It was one of the best half hours of my entire life (also, I was 17 and I didn't know about calories, so it was totally guilt-free).

Kami said...

I love Raclette too....we had it at the Herr's several times. Gosh, I miss my European friends. Ruff. (I miss you too, of course.) :) I also have to agree about the yogurt. I don't know if it's the same, but one time at one of those "enthic" groceries that Brett also shook his head at me for shopping at, I bought some yogurt that was imported from somewhere, and it was just plain yogurt, which I normally don't like (I bought it for a recipe) but oh my goodness, it was soooo good!!! Way better than what the brands you see here are. Anyway, I'm jealous. But eat nutella and think of me once in a while, eh?

Kami said...

I meant ethnic.

Michelle said...

I'm glad to see you guys made it and are doing well!

You can make baking powder out of baking soda, cream of tartar, and cornstarch (assuming you can find those ingredients!). There are also a lot of recipes out there for cream soups, such as this one: http://www.recipezaar.com/Healthy-Substitute-for-Cream-of-Chicken-Soup-18157 . Anyways, in case it helps... :)

Heather S. said...

I want to try that Raclette, I love cheese and that just sounds absolutely divine.

I cannot believe they don't have all those staple ingredients. What a shame.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MarySquare said...

Oh, I love quark!

Keep up the good food blogging.

(and if this comment showed up three times, I'm sorry.)

Anonymous said...

Switzerland does NOT lack these things. :) You just didn't check them out well. So here it goes:

1. Baking powder - Backpulver (eg. Dr.Oetker)
2. Corn syrup - Maissirup (available at the online store realgoods.ch and afoodave.ch)
3. Cream of mushroom - Champignon Flüssigsauce or Champignons Suppe (eg. Knorr); chicken soup - Geflügel-Crème (eg. Knorr) OR available at the online stores: afoodave.ch, peace-foods.ch and realgoods.ch
4. vanilla extract - Backaroma or Aroma Vanille/Butter-Vanille (eg. Dr.Oetker)
5. jello - Götterspeise (eg. Dr.Oetker) that one is a German treat, though available at many online stores AND original Jell-o (available at the online store afoodave.ch)
6. brown sugar - Rohrzucker or Zucker aus Zuckerrohr or Demerara-Zucker
7. cheddar cheese - Cheddar Käse (available at Migros, Coop etc.) it's sold whole, not rasped (usually abt. 200 g) OR you can get it at the online store peace-foods.ch
8. frozen juice concentrate - Sirup or Sirop; not frozen however, but bottled (you can freeze it though, if you wish so)
9. chocolate chips - Schokoladenstückchen or just chocolate chips (available at the online store peace-foods.ch) you could eventually use a regular bar of chocolate and try to simply give it a chop; not sure about that butterscotch chips though, but you could try to search for it online

Hope it helped a tad. :) Have a pleasant stay in CH!

Anonymous said...

PS: 3. the chicken soups at these online stores are mostly Campbell's.

Related Posts with Thumbnails