Thursday, December 18, 2008

Gifts


It is the season of the heart
A special time of caring
The ways of love made clear
It is the season of the spirit

The message if we hear it

Is make it last all year

It's in the giving of a gift to another
A pair of mittens that were made by your mother
It's all the ways that we show love
That feel like Christmas


A part of childhood we'll always remember
It is the summer of the soul in December
It's true wherever you feel love

It feels like Christmas
(lyrics from the Muppet Christmas Carol)

So, I was thinking about some Christmas gifts that have stood out in my memory. Here are a few.

One year I got a Swiss Army knife. It was so exciting.

One year my brothers and sisters and I all got a piece of puzzle in our stocking, and when we put it together it said Go Look in the Garage, and we went and there was a boat.

One year my brother Wyatt bought a pack of about 20 rolls of electrical tape (my dad was always getting mad at him for using up his electrical tape) and wrapped them by ones and twos. Oh--ANOTHER roll of electrical tape--what a surprise! It was soooo funny.

One year my sister Andrea bought a container of Cool Whip for my brother Derek because he always liked eating it frozen but my mom would get mad (obviously) because she would want to use it for recipes.

One year my brother Wyatt wrapped up a yogurt container for me that contained one solitary cheerio. It was awesome. I kept it for a long time.

This year I am really excited for the present I bought for Wyatt --I can't say what it is (not that he reads this blog, but still).

And I'm contemplating getting a really cool present for Brett that I also cannot say what it is. But I think I will because it would be very exciting.

When I asked Jethro what Christmas present he remembers he said his remote control car.

What presents do you remember?

4 comments:

Ginger said...

I remember the year that I got a cabbage patch doll. Only it wasn't a REAL cabbage patch doll. It was probably the year that everybody went crazy for it. The doll I got was homemade by one of my mom's friends. I will always remember that it wasn't the one thing that I truly wanted. So this year, I've tried to push cabbage patch dolls on Leah. She doesn't seem interested though. I show them to her at the store almost everytime we go, and she just isn't interested. So I guess I'll never get my very own cabbage patch doll! (Sorry, I think my whole comment is slightly mental.)

Lynn said...

I remember one year all of us kids got a portable radio from Radio Shack! We were stunned! First, because of the expense. There is NO way my parents had the money. Those radios must of been one HUGE deal/discount.
And second....my parents REALLY did not let us listen to music from the radio. They thought it was bad. All bad. I had to sneak listening to any top chart music at my friends homes.
So receiving a radio (for EACH of us! ) was a HUGE surprise. : D

Andrea said...

One year, I got an Eli for Christmas. That was pretty great.

Kris said...

I remember a cardboard box kitchen my dad hand made and painted with knobs, shelves and even an oven door that opened and everything! Pretty creative thinking I think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails