Saturday, December 20, 2008

Chocolates

It's Christmastime! And that means chocolates!! YUM!!First you boil some good stuff like cream and sugar together.

After letting it sit in the cold snow for awhile, you beat it (for a good long while, but it's okay because you think maybe if you beat enough batches of chocolates and fudge, you might just be as buff as your mother someday.... nahh!),
until it looks like this. Then you either leave it plain vanilla or add flavorings. I did mostly vanilla, but some mint, some maple, and just a few raspberry and orange.
Then you roll them out.
(please try not to notice the empty spot where there used to be a mint chocolate center. I don't know who could have stolen it. Certainly not me.)
Delicious-looking, no?
And then you dip them. And that's where things got a bit... rough. Things were going fine at first (bottom bit of the picture) and got progressively worse.
WHAT ARE THESE?!!! Well the centers started melting into the chocolate which got gloopy after that, and this is the best I could do by the end. Mom--you'd be ashamed. Well actually she was very sympathetic. I think it was because I wasn't using real dipping chocolate and I got my chocolate too hot. I did a lot better on my second pan.

And yet, still delicious.

Now that's where the post should have ended. In fact, I had it all ready to post the other night and was just going to wait and put in the picture of Hazel and then post it. Unfortunately, today at lunch, Brett put a container of leftover spaghetti into the microwave and heated it up and took it out to see that IT WAS MY CHOCOLATES!!! Wahhhhh!!! All my long work and now it looks like this:
I was so mad. I told Brett he was fired and he said it was an accident--but I fired him anyway. So everyone who I was going to share these chocolates with, sorry, now you don't get any. Then I was grumpy for awhile, but now I'm not because really, since I can't share them I guess that means I'll have to eat them all myself. I can live with that.

10 comments:

Neil said...

oh. my. goodness. it's fortunate that brett has proved his worth as a husband previously, because that is a real tragedy! i think that would have caused some very cold feelings if it had happened at my house. seriously, that's like...prize-worthy for worst candy-making tragedy ever. can you submit that story to some food magazine?!

Kristi said...

I just learned how to make chocolates at our super saturday earlier this year, so next year, I will make some for sure! I still have my stash from the class in my fridge. no one has mistaken them for anything else- yet.
yummy!

Christal said...

that is horrible! and sad all that hard work I can't even imagine how brett felt when he went to get his spaghetti~! well I guess you've had your fill of chocolates eh!! Hope you have a merry christmas!!

Lynn said...

OH NO!!!!

I was really admiring all that hard work you were putting into the chocolates! Yum!

So sad to see the end result. But, hey! I bet they tasted really GOOD though!

Our little family said...

Are those the famous Cardston chocolates? My sister in law is from Cardston, and her family has been making chocolates just like those (pre-microwave :)) for several generations. They're die hard chocolate makers. I helped her a couple years ago, and it's hard work!

Heather S. said...

Oh, those look so good, even after the microwave incident. At least now you can have your fill of them.

Kris said...

Oh my! What a disappointment! I bet they still tasted delish though!

PerkinsClan said...

1 spoon and a good chick flick and you should be very happy again. :)

Unknown said...

That is too too funny... and oh so very sad :( At least you have pictures of how nice they once were.

Shelley said...

So sad. But yet so funny. Enjoy! You didn't really want to give them all away anyways, did you??

Related Posts with Thumbnails