Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Salkantay

 We got up in the morning and ate some hard boiled eggs and granola bars. Then we packed most of our stuff over to the common room while were gone.

The hike was steep, but we had a great view of the snowy mountain ahead of us. I like the picture of the girls here in their various purples.









So we got to this point, and it was where a lot of big tour groups stopped and took pictures and were resting, eating lunch, and whatnot (there are a lot of tour groups that do a Salkantay trek and end at Machu Picchu, which is sometimes 4 or 5 days). Now, I was looking at my alltrails map, and it seemed we should be at the lake that I had been heading to, but we couldn't find it. I finally asked a tour guide about it, and was showing him the map, and he talked to another guy, and they told us that that lake didn't exist anymore because there had been an avalanche a few years before that had completely filled it. Which was kind of a bummer for me. But we went and walked on the boulder field that the avalanche had left, and that was kind of cool. Brett rolled down a pretty huge boulder to the bottom and apparently it was pretty impressive because everyone told me about it (I was behind with Navy). 









See Jethro down in the vast expanse of rocks?





Pretty cool stuff.



Then we headed back down. We sat by the tiny little lake we had passed and ate our lunches.





I have to take a picture whenever I see my kids hold hands ❤️







When we got back our driver was waiting for us, and drove us home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!!! And so weird the lake was no longer there.

Related Posts with Thumbnails