Friday, May 12, 2023

Daily stuff

 Back to the daily stuff. Me trying to help Wyatt with math, both of us getting fighting mad, so then generally I tried to get Hazel to help him, if she wasn't at the International School. Doing math, reading, and coding, with Navy. Going and playing soccer at the park. 




Brett did a Dad School this night. It was about Material Properties. He taught about elasticity and plasticity, and drew some graphs.







I guess this all was making general sense to me when he was teaching, but it's all gone now--I don't really remember anything about it.  I wrote notes about it a day or so after, so that I could remember and write about it here-- I wrote: Material Property- elasticity, toughness, stress and strain, tensile strength, deformation --rubber band vs steel vs carbon fiber vs diamond (that's one reason airplanes have to have meticulous logs of how many hours they've flown) aluminum 60% of the density of steel but can be same strength.
So. Make of that what you will.

But here's the cool thing about this dad school. Hazel had planned on majoring in Industrial Design. Brett had told her about it and said it was a good marriage of math and art (I guess it is when the engineers invent something, then the industrial designer takes it and make it pretty or cool or whatever). So she looked up that major at BYU and read through all the required classes, and was very excited about all the art classes and everything. So she signed up for it and it was a go. Except then BYU axed the program and it was no longer available. So all this time she was stressing about what she was going to do now, and was kind of at a loss. Brett was trying to nudge her to do engineering because it is practical, and a woman engineer will always be able to get a job, and he said basically if you do mechanical engineering you'll be qualified to do design stuff, so you could just lean your job searching that way, but you'll also be competent in ALL of mechanical engineering. Anyway, she was mulling it over. She actually spent some time on this youtube channel that goes into fair depth about all kinds of different majors. But she told me that after Brett did this little Dad School, she finally was like--yeah, I could do this. Engineering might be a good fit for me after all. (So that made me feel really good like my idea for Mom and Dad School was actually good inspiration. Although I realize maybe she would have chosen engineering anyway, or maybe she'll get down the road farther and decide she actually doesn't want to do engineering. Whoever knows what will happen.)

And here's a great story Wyatt wrote one day when I told him he had to write something - journaling or a story or whatever.  I'll type out the story below.


Once upon a time they're was a little store. And in that store, lived a little man. And his new dirt bike his name was Speedy becuse he was really fast. He was a KTM. He was very lonely ever since he was bought from the factory. In the factory he had friends that were a Yamaha, and a Kawasakie. Once every year he would go back and see if he was running smooth. After the test he would go and his friends. Well that year they were gone. So they went back to the store. And that same day a man came to the store and asked if I was for sale. I was! So he bought me. He said I was going to be for his son. When we got to his house I couldn't believe my eyes- there were my friends. Yamerhamer, and Green Man. We were ridden all day. They showed me the tricks they learned. They said they were going to Enduro. They asked me if I was going to do it. I said sure if you will let me. Yes, come practice going over rocks with me. Ok, let's do it. They're first race they got 1, 2, and 3. They ceilbrated and lived to win many other races. 


Navy and I went out for a little excursion around Cusco one day, and we had such a fun time! She is a great exploring companion because she's willing to do anything. We found this awesome little museum of a weaver guy. His tapestries/weavings? were so awesome and colorful.











Some other cool knick-knacks we saw around town.




Navy, in front of the famous stone: The architectural mastery of the great Inca civilization mystifies archaeologists around the world. To illustrate, the Twelve Angle Stone of Hatunrumiyoc in Cusco is one of the most sophisticated examples of their ingenuity, with its 12 angles fitting seamlessly into the surrounding wall. It was laid by Inca masons over 700 years ago, and today is considered a National Heritage Object. The material is a green diorite igneous rock and it is about six feet deep and weighs six tons. 


Haha, so great!


Even better!! Haha, I love this so much!!!







The lady at the store basically insisted I be in one of the pictures too. And then she was so funny--she showed me how to pose, with one foot in front and one hand on my waist. Love it. hahah


Then we came around the corner and saw this adorable llama, so we had to take more pictures. (And Navy didn't mind at all! See? Best travel companion!)






It kept trying to get away from me. :)


Look at Navy's cute gap-toothed grin!








Just hanging in the hood.




This must have been the next day. I made everyone (except it looks like Jethro and Hazel weren't there) rouse themselves and come out on an exploration.




Look at this cool shot with the cathedral framed in the arch.






Just climbing around on Incan walls.


I took them to the weaving museum.












Weird, cool little creatures peeking in the forest.



Upside down guy? I don't know what it means.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Navy is adorable!

Related Posts with Thumbnails