Monday, July 17, 2023

Qorikancha and Light the World parade

 Wyatt and Orrin were super close. I think Wyatt never quiiite caught up, and now I think Orrin is pulling ahead again, but Wyatt is tall and isn't far behind.


Random dancers going past our street. Never know why, but I like it.





Hazel, Ethne, and I went to Qorikancha. It's sooo close to our Airbnb, so we had walked past it a million times, but never paid and gone in. It was very cool and interesting.





The Spanish conquerors came and built on top of the Incan buildings, so you can see both types of construction.


And the blossoms were so pretty. I told Hazel she should do an art project where she takes the picture and makes it into little fairy dancers with tutus.








Carved gourds.  We may or may not have knocked into one and had to set it back up again...














Sometimes you have to pick up your baby alpaca and carry him up the stairs.



We went to the San Pedro market and made Hazel's life by getting her a tiny frog.


We also had lunch.


That evening there was a Light the World parade that some of the wards (probably the whole stake?) were participating in. So I gathered most of my kids and we went to the church at the time we had been told, but again, South American time meant an hour or more later than that time. Argh. So, I ended up getting after Orrin and he ran off home, which means I wasn't paying attention to where Wyatt and Navy were, so when the parade actually did start, we couldn't find them. So, I figured they must have gone home too, so we literally ran all the way home, but they weren't there. So we ran all the way back to where the parade was, and ran from one end all the way to the other trying to find them in the crowd, but didn't see them. We did see Pamela though, and a few minutes later, her husband Neper ran up to us and told us she'd found them. She had gone back to the church and found them there. I think they were behind somewhere I didn't see, and so didn't notice when everyone left.  Anyway, after that, it was a great little parade. ha. There was a band playing, people were waving lanterns, and traffic stopped for us. The missionaries were handing out fliers.






We went to a plaza they had set up a big stage, and Navy went up to sing with the primary kids. Then other groups sang (like the missionaries), and some people spoke. 



Then we decided to go home. (Except Jethro, he stayed to hang out with people.)


But first we stopped for some meat skewers from a little stand. It may have been the most delicious thing I've ever eaten. There were delicious sauces you could put on them, and a potato on the top.



We also stopped somewhere else for some fried bread/doughnut thingees. They were good too.

1 comment:

kami said...

Ummm, I can't believe you lost your kids that much. I mean I have Jubal so I get it, but it scares me when I'm not on my home turf. Also that meat looks delicious.

Related Posts with Thumbnails