Thursday, August 6, 2009

REAL update

Okay. Here's the new and improved update. aka Blessings. In order as it came to us.

1. When we were in Chicago for the 4th of July, Brett flew to Toronto to interview with a Swiss guy for a job in Switzerland. The guy was really positive about Brett.

2. I thought we would get the job. There were signs everywhere. For example, at the airport, Brett happened to sit next to a couple speaking Swiss German, and he started talking to them, and they were from Bern--where the job was. They were really nice and gave him their contact info and the lady said, "If you move here, here's my number in case your wife wants to talk with somebody who knows English." Also, a good friend of Kami's whom we are also friends with had a good friend in Switzerland who it turned out Brett knew from his mission. I was sooooo excited. I started reading blogs of Swiss expats. I had the blog post announcing our move planned out in my head just in case.

3. When we were in Utah, the Swiss guy called and said we did not get the job. :(

4. While in Utah, Brett spoke with a guy at USU, tried to speak with a company in Logan, and spoke with a guy at the U of U.

5. The people at the U wanted Brett to come but didn't have the funding yet, so they couldn't say anything for sure.

6. While we were in Utah, Brett's cousin Ben called and said that he'd decided to go to Purdue for an MBA (he had called us a long time before and we got excited that he'd buy our house from us, but he decided to take a job instead, but the job didn't work out as expected, so he decided to go to school after all) and could he rent our house from us. He needed to know in about three days (understandably).

7. We decided that although we didn't have a for sure job, we would move out and let Brett's cousin and his family rent our house. Hence, the not knowing where we were moving.

8. Brett's super-duper nice brother Blake let us take his truck and put a goose-neck hitch in it so we could take the horse-trailer that Brett's super-duper nice dad let us borrow, and both of Brett's super-duper nice brothers and his super-duper nice dad helped get everything in tip-top-traveling shape, so we could move our stuff out.

9. We gave Ethne and Hazel to our super-duper nice sister-in-law, sister, and mother to watch (transported from Vernal to SLC by Brett's super-duper nice sister Kris (and I mean REALLY nice--Hazel threw up and Ethne peed her pants on that drive)) while we came home to pack and clean.

9. Brett checked his e-mail yesterday and the guy from the U asked Brett when he wanted to start, because he would give him "temporary" work until the funding junk comes through.

10. So now, I can tell you that the plan is that we go and live with my super-duper nice sister Megan until we can rent a house in SLC and live there. Near family. Ahhhhhh.

p.s. Moving is crazy. In many ways. It is weird that we are finally moving--in our six years here we have watched SOOOOOOOOO MANY people come and go, and I think I thought it would never really be my turn. On the other hand though, I feel like I left months ago. It's also weird to me to think that when we moved here, Jethro was the same age as Talmage is now. Time is a slippery thing.

17 comments:

Shelane said...

You'll be so close! Maybe I'll use it as an excuse to get Christy to come visit. Or maybe we'll just have to meet ourselves and let the kids play some day.

Hooray for jobs!!

Gigi said...

Hey Kayli,
Can I book you now to take pictures of my family when we're in Salt Lake at Christmastime? I'm guessing your quick move means we won't be able to do them here.

Congratulations and Good Luck!!! We'll miss you guys.

Lynn said...

WOW! Can anyone say "stress??!" At least I would be!!

You seem as cool as a cucumber. You rock!

Tiffany Alldredge Smith said...

WOW!! That's CRAZY!! Congratulations! You will be missed!

Kirsta and Morian said...

That's cool that you are moving to SLC! That's where we are too these days. We'll hafta hook up! Good luck with the move!

Tracy said...

You will be missed!!! But congratulations!

love your selfish friend,
Tracy

Maren said...

What a whirlwind! I'm glad it all worked out for you. (Although I'm sad my favorite photographer is now in SLC...)

Ginger said...

Yeah!!!!!! I'm sooooo happy for you. Loren and went to Louisville today and on our drive back he said, "Will you call Kayli and ask her what the heck is going on, because we need to know already!" I'm so relieved for you and I hope that everything KEEPS working out and that all the dumb funding works out too. Yeah!!

Steve and Katrina said...

So even though I don't even live near you anymore it still makes me sad you are moving. I'm glad that you sort of have a plan now. I think I would go crazy not knowing what was going on. How fun it must be to be near family. I can't wait until you are settled and back into blogging fulltime. I've missed you.

n8 said...

Wow you guys move fast! Well good luck with everything out in Utah. So you have already been here packed, cleaned and left? Dang!

kristine N said...

Congrats, but we will really miss you guys!

The Holdaway's said...

Congrats Kayli! And I know you guys will love being closer to many family memners...

Christina said...

Wow, we are really happy for you guys! I have to say I'm a little jealous of where you are going. We had so much fun in Utah! We will definitely come and visit you next time we are there.

We miss you already! Good luck with everything!

Kris said...

I'm so glad things are working out, but I sure will miss you - especially if we can ever get our house sold and move back to Lafayette! Kent met a family from Utah at the Friday Coffee (and hot chocolate)-thingy for MBAs who was from Utah. Perhaps it was Brett's cousin! Family of 3 kids? Said he was renting a house about 10 minutes away. I'm sure Kent will get to know him sometime! What's his name again? Anyway, sounds like things will be crazy, but I'm sure you will be much happier to be close to family again. Sniff, sniff - I'll miss you!

Katrina said...

CONGRATS!!! What a crazy time but I'm so glad things are working out for you! And you'll be in SLC... very fun. It would be fun to get together sometime once you are settled in. Good luck looking for a house!

Heather S. said...

Woo Hoo, so glad you get to move closer. My dad owns a property management company in SLC, I haven't asked him but I know he always has places available. Let me know if you want the phone number of his company. That's so exciting you get to move to Utah. We'll have to get together and do some stuff. (We're in SLC often visiting with my family.

I so want to know what type of camera you have too. It looks like I'm in the market for a new camera now. (Yes, you answered once but I've misplaced it and cannot remember what it was. lol)

Send me an email so I can have your email address since I lost it. (Yes, I'm terribly disorganized lately. heatherAThjstevensDOTcom

Amy said...

So much excitement going on for you guys right now!!!! Good luck with the packing/moving and all the craziness! Have fun in Utah close to family... how fun!

Related Posts with Thumbnails